Part 11: Sleepover

It took a while for Steven, Y/N and Amethyst to find their way out of Rose's room, but when they did it was pitch black, and the sky outside was a smear of tar, streaks of indigo and deep magenta running through its creases. The sea was destructive- waves shoving forward, down and above whilst making a distant swishing sound. Y/N didn't even have to go outside to know that it was freezing- dispite the season being spring.

Steven yawned, slouching on the sofa lazily, whilst Amethyst quickly ditched the two boys, dashing off to her own room. "I... forgot my phone back home, so I'll probably walk back soon," Y/N muttered, pressing his small palms on the cold glass of a nearby window. He shivered at the thought of leaving by himself in the freezing cold, all alone. Not only that, but he was exhausted too. "You can stay over if you want, and I'll text my dad to drive over and tell Jeffrey," Steven responded numbly, eyes still raw and crimson from crying earlier. He was already on the verge of opening Whatsapp, secretly hoping Y/N would say yes, after all, who wanted to walk five-to-ten minutes in the icy wind where anyone, or anything, could be about? It was perfect!

"Sure, but I didn't pack any stuff," Y/N said, glancing at the half-gem and smiling honestly. And when Steven replied by stating that Y/N could just use some of his spare clothes, the 
short boy's heart did a backflip. And a very passionate one at that.

After they got changed into more comfortable wear, the two friends decided to head straight to sleep- I mean, hey, they were tired, what could they do? Luckily, since Y/N was so small, bed size wasn't an issue, so they had more than enough space to comfortably both relax. It was a little breezy in Steven's room though, probably because the upstairs window was open, but neither of them could be bothered to close it. Their laziness wasn't an issue for Steven, who was equipped with proper sleeping clothes, but Y/N, who was just wearing his old T-shirt from today and his boxers, was about to practically concieve Hypothermia. "Uhh, Steven, it's a little cold up here," Y/N began, but quietened down once Steven sloppily pointed to his soft pink jacket that was sprawled at the bottom of the bed. Blushing, Y/N hesitantly picked it up, its aroma brushing past him as he slid it on. "It's so warm and cozy, and smells just like Steven," he thought, flopping back down on the bed, its hinges gently creaking.

Steven had collapsed into a deep slumber within minutes, his hands gently cradling Y/N's torso. It was super embarrassing, but Y/N felt so relaxed and protected that he just went with it. He wished he could sleep with Steven every night.

When Greg recieved Steven's vague text, he sped over to Y/N's house in his rickety old van faster than a cheetah on steroids. He desperately knocked on the door, hoping that Y/N's butler wouldn't blame this on him. He noticed a sleek, sexy limo in the driveway, polished and perfect. "Steven really hit it hard this time- Y/N's stinking rich!" He thought, but when the door slowly opened, it wasn't Jeffrey who answered, but a tall man, dressed in a pale blue tuxuedo. His thin hair was swept back, and he looked like he had been crying. Greg guessed this was Y/N's real dad, though he had never seen him in town before, "Who are you?" The man said groggily, his eyes glaring down like puffy stone grey lanterns.

"I'm umm... Greg Universe, I'm just here to tell your butler that-"
"No need, tell me instead, Mr Universe,"
"Your son, he-"
"You know where he is? Tell me right away! That bastard better not be hanging out with his 'friend'!"
"If you mean my son, then sorry to dissapoint you but he went round for a sleepover with Steven! That's what I was going to tell-"
"Oh that awful boy! I'm so sorry if your son was seduced by him- he's such a handful! But tell me where he is and I'll fix it right away!"

Y/N's father wiped away a tear, trying to recompose himself. "Would you like to come inside Mr Universe," he moved aside, allowing Greg to get past. "Seduced? What is this guy on about?"

Y/N's mother's nostrils flared when she heard the news, and, deciding to ignore her guest,  she slammed her hands on the table and turned her deathly glare to the butler. "We set you and our dissapointment one rule- one! And as soon as I come back round for a single night you fools brake it! I demand to be taken to your son's house now, Mr Universe! I have some serious talking to do! And to think I was generous enough to even give you a chance..." She paced around the room, neon yellow heels clicking repeatedly on the wooden floor. Y/N's father stayed still, moping. "What did we do wrong, as parents to get this outcome? We respected Y/N all his life and he still came out like this... I'm such a failure."

Greg was just about done with this- he didn't know what Y/N had done, or why it remotely involved Steven, but these parents were not dealing with it right! And he was gonna at least try to talk some form of sense into them. "Look, I'm not gonna pry into your personal buisness but maybe Y/N's acting the way he is because he thinks you don't love him! Forget 'respect', Y/N is probably crashing at my son's house because he doesn't feel comfortable around you guys- so show him that he can be! Then he might reconsider what he's doing, and you guys won't be mad at him anymore!" The whole room had gone quiet. Y/N's mother began to open her mouth in an angry strop, but his father cut her off. "Look, maybe Mr Universe is right- we can fix our son by being kind to him. Then we convince him to move back with us and we'll ensure he gets a lovely wife and children to carry on our family name and inheritance! Instead of cutting him off, we'll just kindly make sure he complies to our rules."

"We can give it a shot, but if he's thinking what I think he is, about this new friend, and none of it works, we are going with the original option, and all of you can trust me it won't be something Y/N's gonna get used to right away," Y/N's mother said reluctantly. "Do you want me to drive you over?" Greg asked, pointing through the window to his van. "We'll pass thank you- Jeffrey, drive us all to this Steven's house. Mr Universe will provide us with instructions." Y/N's mother ordered snappily.

"What awful people," Greg thought as he clambered into one of the back seats. He was dreading what was going to happen when they arrived.

On their way past, a distant, but unnervingly empty pink ship flew into orbit. It was the Human Zoo.