Chapter 4

B'naire Battleheart or "BeBe" as her few close friends would call her, began the day like any other day. Rising from her bed she went across her modest dorm room to the water basin. First washing her dark red hair, she noticed her loose spiral curls seemed to be extra bouncy that particular day. She donned her simple grey dressed that easily cover her not-quite five and a half foot thick, yet not overweight, frame.

Ready for the day she left her room to meet up with her best friend Shana. They had been best friends ever since they could remember. From playing in mud and picking wildflowers, to casing boys, to leaving their home village together to learn sorcery at Arcanum Scholium, the school of magic. It came as a shock to both young women when their instructors had given them and all the other students a few weeks repast to visit their families.

That's where the two friends were setting off towards this day. Normally students weren't allowed their first visit home from the college until after their first five years. If B'naire would've though more deeply on the matter she may have seen it as a bit odd, nevertheless she was too excited to see her family.

"Morning BeBe." Came a soft whisper by her ear.

She looked around trying to find the source of the familiar voice. She didn't spot her friend but that was part of their game. BeBe and Shana had developed a little game to help them study and learn spells and how to better pinpoint the location of the caster.

"Aww... come on BeBe. Don't tell me you can't find me." Purred the voice of Shana.

This time she thought she felt a feint breeze brush against her left ear. Thinking she had caught onto Shana's spell, BeBe silently chanted a spell to enhance her eyesight.

As she finished her spell, she heard a slight giggle roll past her on the right this time came the breeze. Turning that way, she saw the blurred form of Shana, which was much like her own, rush down the hall. She quickly began her quiet chant again, this time slightly thickening the air in front of her. Shana rushed back down the hall towards her, with a smirk on her pretty face, thinking she was quite clever this time.

B'naire finished her spell with Shana four steps away, then three, and she stopped completely at two.

"How come I can never get you?" Shana huffed a split second later.

"Its simple. While I study the assigned spell books you go out and study the young wizards who study here." B'naire replied giving her friend a motherly stare.

Shana returned that stare with an exaggerated incredulous visage of her own, the two young women broke out into fierce giggles a moment later. B'naire released her spell, which held her friend, started back down the long hall.

Several hours later the two women where out of the large U-shaped city heading northeast towards their village. They both had a bounce in their step as they walked and talked and basked in the sun of this beautiful early spring day.

"I can't wait to see ma and pa and show them all I've learned so far." B'naire remarked to Shana when they had stopped to eat a quick lunch. It was true she had studied hard from the moment she walked into Arcanum Scholium, wanting to make her parents proud.

"Yes, yes the Great BeBe they will call you." Shana replied playfully. "I can't wait to see Yoran and show him all that I've learned."

"I have no doubt he will like what you have learned." B'naire said and slapped Shana lightly on her behind to emphasize her point. Once again, the two were laughing as they ate lunch.