Chapter One~Routine Mission

(If you haven't read Erasing Our Past please go back and read it before continuing with this book. And if this is your first time reading this series please go back to the first book Masking My Life thank you)

Remembering is a dangerous game.

You remember the past it's hard to move on to the future.

Especially if your past is tainted as much as mine is. Each moment connects to another in some way, each a different path though, for example, Harpers Ferry to Tony. Tony to S.H.I.E.L.D. S.H.I.E.L.D. to Avengers!

Or even more of the good things, science to Thor. Thor to Loki. Loki to never leaving me alone. Never leaving me alone to falling in love. Which is all true and so much more, Happy, Harley, Pepper, Steve, Nat, Clint, Thor, Bruce, Tony. My family.

But like I said remembering is dangerous because of the mistakes. You mess with science you find the Aether, you find the Aether Loki has to save you, Loki saves you and then you lose the one you love, losing the one you love makes Ultron.

Like I said mistakes.

But were the Avengers, we break it we fix it.

"That's the job," I explain to Wanda who adds sugar to her cup and stirs it, she nods understanding. here we were Lagos, Nigeria, just two girls sitting across from each other having coffee....on a mission.

"All right, what do you see?" asked Steve through our earpieces, Wanda and I look around discretely "Standard beat cops." starts Wanda.

"Small station," I say.

"Quiet street."

"It's a good target, Steve. There's an ATM in the south corner, which means Cameras." I say.

"Both cross streets are one way," says Steve.

"So, compromised escape routes," says Wanda.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. Do you see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute."

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us," says Nat who was sitting a couple of tables away. I unzip my bag which held my gloves and mask just in case.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" starts Wanda.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," 

"Anybody ever tells you you're a little paranoid?" I ask.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?"

"Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him." says Steve.

"If he sees us coming that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us." says Sam. A garbage truck is pushing its way through traffic, with no regard to pedestrians or other vehicles "Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it." I say.

Pretty soon a small drone, Redwing, launches and flies down to scan the garbage truck. "That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed," says Sam.

"It's a battering ram," says Nat.

I see Steve from his window begin to move "Go now. He's not hitting the police."

I look ahead at the sign of the place the truck was heading for "INSTITUTE FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASES" 

"Oh shit," I say as Wanda and I get up and begin running over two the south wall just in time to see the garbage truck comes towards the gate. The driver jumps out, and the truck slams into the guard station. Two trucks rush into the compound through the newly-made hole.