The Poncho - Daryl

Request: Daryl imagines feed my SOUL. 😭 How about this: they crochet him something (idk, a blanket or a poncho) and when they give it to him, they think he doesn't like it because of how little he reacts. He then makes sure EVERYONE knows just how much he likes their gift by wearing it all the time (or using it all the time).

Word Count: 497

Warnings: None

Before the world ended, you probably never would have taken up crocheting, but once you tried it, you became pretty obsessed. It was a good skill to have now, too. When there was nothing better to do around the prison, you could be found in your cell, crocheting something new. You made some baby clothes for Judith, you've made some socks for Beth and Michonne, and you've made yourself a nice scarf for the winter that was fast approaching.

You had noticed one day when Daryl was about to go on a run, that his poncho had gotten pretty worn down, like most of his clothes. You wondered if he would even like it if you made him a new one. But after seeing how worn down his is and how it must not keep him very warm anymore, you decide to just do it anyway. If he doesn't want it, there's plenty of other people who will take it.

It ends up taking quite a while, because you tried to make it perfect. You had to get some new materials in order to sort of match the colors and patterns on his own one, but you get it pretty close. You are proud of it, you just hope that he actually likes it.

You catch him one day when he was just getting back from a run, his raggedy poncho on him, attempting to keep him warm in the early days of winter. "Hey, Daryl, I uh, kinda made something for you." You tell him, your surprise behind your back, waiting for him to get off of his motorcycle. He looks at you questioningly and awaits for you to hand him whatever is behind your back; so you do. He stares at it for a moment before taking it, shocked at how soft and warm it feels. It looks a lot like the one he uses, but better, because you made it specifically for him. "Wow.." He mutters, turning it around, admiring it. You bite your lip nervously, waiting for him to say something else. "Thank ya... This is great." He's never really received gifts before, let alone for no reason or one that was specifically made for him. He loves it.

You sort of feel like he's just pretending to like it, but you don't press it. However, the next day, you are shocked to see him wearing it outside as he worked on his bike. And the next day, and the day after. Everyone knew you made it for him, since you like making people things. Rick could tell what was going on between the two of you, even if neither of you were willing to admit it. Daryl wore that poncho every single time he was outside, except when he was at the fence killing walkers, which you found even better - he didn't want to dirty it. It made you like him all the more, and he found himself so much more drawn to you after you did something so meaningful for him. Something so simple and innocent ended up being the start of everything that was to come between the two of you...