two ➳ trouble

After chemistry class was over, I said goodbye to my lab partner, Jeff, and walked down the hallway. He was a really nice guy and one of the first people I met in high school. His big dorky glasses could easily give you the wrong impression; his muscles hiding under his sweater and the light stubble covering his chin and jawline totally rejected the fact of him being a nerd.

Next was Biology. Our teacher was new and the class was reorganized, due to some couple wanting to have the same teachers and classes. They had to add some more people in order to fill it, meaning I'd have new classmates. I knew most of the students in 12th grade, so that wasn't a problem at all.

As soon as I entered, sea blue eyes pierced on me and I felt an uneasy feeling lingering. My fingers pulled both sleeves of my cardigan lower and I tightened the grip on my backpack. Trying to ignore the stare from whomever it was, I picked a desk a few feet away from the teacher's desk and sat down, crossing my legs.

When the class was full, the teacher followed and my eyes fell on a lady not more than 30, with wavy brown hair and bright green eyes. She seemed to be in a good mood today, which means she might let us just talk to each other instead of having a lesson.

"Good morning" she greeted and everyone went suddenly silent. "My name is Mrs. Greene and I'm your new biology teacher." A few kids from the back began murmuring and she chuckled. "Let's pair up and begin our lesson, shall we?"

She started to spell out names and making the pairs, and when I turned to look at some girl in the back, my eyes fell on Luke's. My heartbeat increased to a crazy rate and I felt my breath hitching as he held my gaze. I broke away and looked down at my legging-covered knees to distract myself.

Please don't be cliché and pair me up with Luke, please.

"Ebony Blake, you can go with... There! Luke Hemmings."

Are you serious?!

With a heavy sigh, I heard him stand up from the back of the room, drag his probably empty backpack to the floor and take up the seat next to mine. We refused to even look at each other or talk for the rest of the pairing, and when the teacher was done, she handed us our reports for the day and everyone began working.

If Claire was me right now, she would've probably melted all over her espadrilles and flipped her hair to make Luke notice her, but there's no way I'd perform any of these actions. My inner self was warning me not to speak to him, and that I'd do. Problem is, to get through with this project, we sadly had to communicate somehow, and learning how to sign was definitely not on my current plans.

Turning around, fished my pen from my handbag and twirled my chair towards Luke's direction. To my surprise, he was already looking at me, his fingers tightening around the iPhone in his hands. I tried not to roll my eyes at how much of a show-off he is and just dragged the paper to me, examining the questions carefully.

"Listen" I began, "I know you don't like me, and the feeling's mutual, but since we were paired up we need to at least come up with a way to stand each other, until this class is over."

He gave me a look. "You do know the pairs are until both semesters are over, right?"

"Huh?"

"Except extremely stupid, are you deaf too?" he mocked. "She just said that."

"Oh". I was too busy thinking everything, that I didn't even pay attention to the teacher. Slapping my forehead, I squeezed the pen in my hands and tapped the tip against the surface of the bench. "Well, that changes everything."

"I have to stand someone of your kind for a whole year" he admitted. "Why don't you just shoot me, it'd be less annoying."

"How can being killed even be annoying?"

He smirked. "How can you be?"

"Fuck off" I blurted out.

This time, the teacher actually heard me. "No swearing in class."

I raised my hand. "Can you change my pair? We can't work together."

"She didn't even try" Luke protested from behind my back, and I caught him raising his hands up in the air with the corner of my eye. Asshole.

Mrs. Greene walked over to our bench and put her hand on my back, in a supporting gesture. I really didn't need her advice, I just wanted a new pair, more decent, whom I can work with.

"I know that teamwork can be tough, but I'm sure you two can make it" she assured both of us with a small smile. Luke held himself back from rolling his eyes and I bit the inside of my cheek so I don't punch him right in the gut. "Just try to get to know each other better and it'll be easy."

When she left, I turned my eyes up on the ceiling and I heard Luke groan next to me. "Why couldn't at least be Caroline" he whined. "She may be stupid as hell, but she's a good fuck."

"Stop thinking with your dick and help me finish this" I retorted as I wrote down both our names on top of the page.

"My dick has better taste than you do" he taunted.

I shook my head. "Just help me finish this."

This is way worse than I thought.

-*-*-*-

gonna update regularly on this one bYe