one ➳ him

Have you ever met someone whom you know, right from the start, that isn't gonna do any good to you? With just one look, you're aware of the fact that some strange force, devil even, sent them to harm you, and torn you to pieces. These people are often misunderstood, for their looks or personalities trick you; they're either too nice or too mysterious, or they have the feature you love on people, making them the perfect company. When the mystery is unraveled, though, you're left alone, broken, and mostly confused, with a huge 'Why?' wandering around your head.

That was Luke to me.

We'd never really talked, but we had three classes together, in which he hardly ever showed up. Him owning the school's bad boy façade, it made him miraculously unreachable. I, on the other hand, was, what you say, a good girl, with straight A's on as many semesters as I could. We had absolutely nothing in common, yet his aura appealed me like magnet on steel.

Every now and then we'd lock eyes from afar, and I was always the first one to look away. It wasn't right to be hanging out with people like him, or looking at them even, since you could be misunderstood way too easily in my school. I'm one of the good girls, not an outcast but not too popular either. I was known between my group of friends and some people from my grade. That's all I needed; nothing else. Luke and his gang were known everywhere around this town, mostly for all the storefronts they broke because they were bored, or the times they were hold for a few nights in prison for driving while being drunk or smoking pot in basements. It certainly wasn't my business, but destroying yourself for fun seems so stupid to me.

Enough said about Luke, I'm not one of his little fans in the first place. My best friend is, Claire, that's why I know all the latest gossip before anyone else. Every time he walks by, I can see her slowly melting all over her shoes with the corner of my eye. She's my best friend, I know, but she acts so pathetic whenever he's around. We both know he doesn't give shit about any girl unless she gets on her knees and sucks him off, and even then, I can't guarantee he'll give her a second glance.

Today was a somewhat good day. The homecoming was last week and me and my boyfriend, Troy, had such a great time. We met last year for the first time, during football training. Claire dragged me all the way to the field because someone told her that Luke applied for the team, which I found impossible, but couldn't resist her puppy eyes. While she sat there scanning the place for him, we had sat on the lowest seats and the ball suddenly crashed against my shoulder and ended up on my lap. Troy and some friends of his jogged towards us and he insisted on taking me to the nurse, since he was the captain and the blame was all his. Two days later we were already a couple.

I stood in front of the mirror, touching up my makeup a little bit. After making such appearance on the prom, we needed to look good and get even more attention. That sounds really shallow, I know, but Troy always says 'my princess has to always turn all heads to her, so that everyone can see how beautiful she is'.

Some car horn sounded from outside and I picked my bag from the bed, flinging down the stairs. I knew this horn very well, it belonged to Claire's car. Ever since her dad got her the vehicle, she drove to my house every morning so we can go to school together. We'd never missed a single day.

I picked my keys from the kitchen counter and shoved them in my bag. When I least expected it, my mother pulled me in for a hug. The feeling felt so strange to me, considering we never hugged each other. They were working crazy hours for me to have everything I want, so I don't say a thing on the matter.

"Have a great day at school, honey" she smiled and gave me a friendly pat on my back. "Tell Troy I said hello, will you? I haven't seen that boy in ages".

"I will let him know" I smiled as politely as I could and jerked away from her grip. My dad was reading a newspaper on my opposite so I waved at him, move that went completely unnoticed by him. Shrugging, I made my way out.