seventeen

Izzy avoided everyone the next day at school

Izzy avoided everyone the next day at school. She couldn't face any of them, Nina included.

Instead she threw herself into the one thing she knew she wouldn't screw up.

The football game.

Everyone in Freeridge knew that the relationship Izzy and dance was solid. Much more solid than any of her more physical relationships would ever be.

All through middle school, Izzy was a cheerleader. And when she entered high school as a freshman, the coach took one look at her transcripts and didn't even bother to make her audition. She was already in. At 15, she made varsity and was her team's flyer.

Something which made her team mates both love and hate her.

Especially in the locker rooms after practice. Izzy was always very confident of her body, anyone could see that.

From the way she held herself to the way she walked, she oozed confidence. This not only earned respect, but resentment as well.

As she changed into her uniform or back in her clothes, the girls would whisper and giggle behind her back.

" What a slut ".

" I heard she's smashing Cesar Diaz's brother! ".

" She's already selling herself, it's so obvious! Look at her clothes! ".

But Izzy was Izzy.

She didn't take shit.

Her friends didn't know this, but Izzy was in more than one fight that year. The first one happened when the coach announced that she made varsity the first week.

A tall black girl named Amber didn't take too well to that. After practice, Izzy found her clothes in the showers. But she took one look at Ambers smug expression and slapped her.

After that, it was downhill when it came to Izzy's temper.

It was fight number two or three, that finally stopped the whispers in the girls locker room. And it was Spooky's involvement that stopped them outside of it as well.

Her team mates were afraid. Not just of her, but of her connection with the Santos. Everyone saw her roll up to school in Oscar's Impala on more than one occasion and especially her relationship with his little brother. So they didn't risk it.

Izzy felt like she should've been relieved. The girls weren't harassing her anymore, she had their respect. She didn't have to explain to the coach and to the principal why she still deserved a place on the team and in the school.

But the thing is, she had their respect but she didn't have their friendship.

Deep down, Izzy wanted them to joke around with her. She wanted to gossip about mundane things like boys and makeup, like any other teenager.