twenty-seven

The couple were entangled with one another, their legs entertwined and their arms wrapped securely

The couple were entangled with one another, their legs entertwined and their arms wrapped securely. Izzy laid her head on his chest, drawing patterns while Cesar played with her curls.

" Where are they? ", Cesar asked, breaking the silence.
" Monse said the highway ", she replied, referencing the text she received a few minutes ago.

He nodded. The high from last night had worn down and reality had hit them. While their friend's searched for the RollarWorld money, the young couple contemplated everything. If they left they would have to leave everything. Running away would mean leaving family, friends. That probably seemed better than taking out someone, but right now she wasn't sure.

" Oscar's gonna come looking for us ", Izzy said.

Cesar exhaled sharply, trying to steady his breathing. His heart was pounding and his mind racing. Running away seemed like a dream but that was all it would ever be.
A dream.

" I know ", he responded.

Izzy's expression was unreadable, as she removed herself from Cesar and sat up. He leaned against his biceps, to look at her but she was staring straight ahead. And when her eyes flickered to his, they were filled with nothing but terror. She was scared.

" Bells ", he muttered, " I can still... ".

" No ", she shook her head, standing up, " Oscar's expecting me ".

He was nervous, even though he had no reason to. He wasn't the one doing it.

Izzy tried to keep a clear mask, to hide her shallow breathing and her trembling hands as she reached into the pocket of the jacket on her closet door. She cringed at the sensation of the cold metal against her fingertips, and held the glock in both hands as she pulled it out. She sighed, with tears pooling, as she stared down at it.

" Izzy ".

She swallowed the lump in her throat, and grabbed her jacket, pulling it on. Cesar noticed the gun in her hand and tried not to react as she stuffed it into her pocket.

" I'll see you later ", she mumbled, walking towards the doorway only to be stopped. She glanced at the hand on her waist, before looking up at Cesar.

" Cesar, you have to let me- ",

She didn't have time to finish her words as he kissed her gently, holding her chin to tilt it up. She melted like butter in his arms, and the euphoria flourished even after he pulled away and leaned his forehead against her.

" Ti amo ", he whispered.

Her response was identical.

" Ti amo ".

~~~

She sat in the black car, her phone resting in her lap. Instead of some random cholo, Spooky sat with the girl. She was grateful for that. Because as she much as she didn't want to admit it, she was terrified.