twenty-eight

The red Impala pulled up outside of the bungalow

The red Impala pulled up outside of the bungalow. Oscar examined the small girl beside him, as the car pulled to a halt. Her hair was wet and in a messy bun andher tanned skin was unusually pale and sunken. As Oscar burned her clothes, she wore one of Cesar's hoodies and sweatpants.

Izzy felt empty, well...emptier than usual. She didn't want to go home but she had to. Even if it meant facing her father.

She scowled at the sight of the black Camaro in the driveway.
" You don't have to go home, you know ", Oscar said to her, " You're always welcome to- ",

" No ", she cut off, " No I gotta ".

She opened the car door but Oscar found her wrist, stopping her.
" You did good tonight, cariño ".
" I don't feel good ", she admitted.
" I know ", he nodded, " But it'll be alright, Red ".
With a cocked brow she questioned " Red? ".
Oscar chuckled, " You just look like a Red ".

" It's Cesar's favourite colour ", she said, a ghost of a smile crossing her face.

Oscar nodded, smiling gently. " You've got my respect, Iz ".
" For real? ".
" For real ", he confirmed, " To be completely honest, I thought you'd only ever be Cesar's girl...but you a Santo now, Izabella ".

When she stayed silent, he continued. " I know it's pretty rough now, but don't worry ", he touched her arm, " You need any help...coping...Cesar and I are always here ".

" I know ", she said quietly, glancing at her house, " Have a nice night, Spooky ".

" You too, Red ".

She got out of the car, with the nickname ringing in the air.
Red. Red. Red.
She was a Santo.
But she didn't know how she should feel.

It was still early in the night, so the lights in her house were still on. She opened the front door quietly stepping inside. She didn't want to face her father after this, or really at all. Last time he saw her, he left again after two days. No explanation, no text. Just gone.
She tried asking around but she only got nothing. She didn't care. Because that's all she would ever know about her father.

Absolutely nothing.

" Izzy ", Angel beamed, just as she walked into the kitchen. He grimaced slightly at her ratty hair and disheavled clothes. He had hoped when introducing Cathy to her, she would be more presentable.

A conflicted Izzy looked at the perfect family in front of her. Angel, Gina and a white girl with short brown hair.

" Izzy, I want you to meet Catherine...my girlfriend ".

Her eyes flickered to the white girl who was smiling widely, showing a lot of white teeth.
" You can call me Cathy ", she said excitedly, " It's lovely to meet you, Izzy. Angel never stops talking about you ".