Pt 15. The Royal Family

Awkward had reached new heights. What was bad earlier with Mavis didn't amount to what it's like to sit with your parents and who they considered a feral wolf.

Mavis wasn't saying anything, just glaring at Sergio. Atta was stuck in between them, keeping Mavis from killing Sergio. Regina was glad she was on the other couch; the three adults were confined enough.

"So, since no one else is willing to talk, Sergio, can you explain why you are here with our daughter?"

"She's the one that called out for help; she said people were trying to get her. Why weren't you protecting her?"

"Not protecting her! That's what the safe room is for!"

"Well, that didn't work out too well, did it, Mavis."

Atta let out a loud cough, and the two adults looked away from each other. Regina almost wanted to laugh; they were acting like children.

"I heard her calling out, I was nearby, and so I entered. I saw two guys trying to break the code; I attacked and opened the floor to make sure Regina was safe. Seeing that she was okay, I tied the men up and waited for you."

"That doesn't explain how she was able to reach you. The link was closed, one that you aren't even a part of. Why should I believe anything you just said?"

"Because you walked in and saw me, the men and Regina still in the safe room!"

Mavis's eyes flashed yellow as she growled at the man. Atta straightened his back, blocking their views of each other. Mavis relaxed, and Sergio pouted against the couch.

"Well, Luce, what happened?"

'What Sergio said. I called out, and he answered. He opened the door, and he sat next to the men until you came and let me out.'

Except, that didn't really happen either. Speranza was in control when Mavis and Atta came. She didn't know what was happening until Speranza gave up power. It was the other voice that called out, one that could apparently contact Sergio.

She desperately needed to talk to Sergio or this voice. There was something else within her that had some connection to Sergio, one that went right past Speranza.

"How did you contact him, though? He isn't a part of the pack."

Regina was hoping that Atta wouldn't ask that.

'I don't know; I gave control over to Speranza. I thought we would have to fight the men, so I let her take control.'

'Why are you lying to them? I didn't do anything with Sergio.'

Regina ignored her wolf and focused on the adults. Atta looked confused while Mavis and Sergio weren't looking at anyone.

"That still doesn't make sense."

Sergio let out a massive sigh before his eyes turned gold. Regina let out a small gasp as there was a tugging in her chest.

"The girl doesn't know what's going on either. All I know is that I have to protect her and Viribus."

Viribus? Her wolf was Speranza.

"I have a connection to Viribus, one that isn't like a Fated bond. I feel protective, and I could hear her call out like we had a link. I don't know why; I just know I have to be there for her."

"Are you suggesting we can't protect her?"

"Well, rogues got into the packhouse and went after her specifically. Let's just say I don't trust you with my job."