Pt 28. Christmas Day Plans

"Abe wasn't always like this. When we met, he was sweet, loving; he had traveled to the Netherlands for the tulip fields. Abe was a photographer and was searching for his Fated, me."

"Moder loved him; she said he was an angel sent to guide her baby girl. She always called me that."

Faya stared out the window while Regina listened with open ears. This woman, her rescuer years ago, was her aunt, her family.

"Nielia and Jo weren't so sure. Daan and Jakob took my bonding better than my sisters did. They said I was too young to move away, that I should stay till I turned twenty-one. I should have listened."

"Abraham had a friend; I don't even know his name. He fed my Fated terrible thoughts about not being able to protect me and not being a good Fated. Abe always pushed him away, but when we got here, things changed."

"I got pregnant, our little baby girl. We were in some little town; I had asked him to show me around America, so we were touring. Cor died a week later in her sleep. Abe took it hard; his friend's words became a part of him, and he became overprotective."

"He would say things about how much he loved me or how he would provide for us. A week later, he came home with blood on his clothing and a newborn in his hands. He gave her to me with a smile, one I hadn't seen in months."

"I provide for my Fated; I protect our children.' That's what he said to me."

Her shoulders shook with another heavy breath. She leaned down to pick up the two dolls on the floor, which looked like Cor and Jannie.

"It was slow at first. Abe wouldn't eat what I cooked; he took every patrol option, his friend hanging off his arm. I didn't notice until his eyes turned red. My Fated was consuming the flesh of werewolves, the flesh of our kind. It made him go crazy; he had to eat it and wouldn't eat anything else."

"A short time later, I got pregnant again. I was on bed rest, and Abe was back to his usual self, caring, kind, his eyes were even brown again."

Faya had a smile on her face as she fingered a necklace around her neck. Regina didn't believe he could be so soft, the man who was a monster.

"Ester was loved by her father and grew up with Cor. She laughed, and the halls were bright once more. I had my Fated back; he loved me and never hurt me, not even Cor when she acted up."

"Then she got sick; she was still just a child. Abe was at her bedside every hour; Cor didn't understand. My baby died, and I lost my husband once more. He went mad; he hit me for the first time that night, he even locked Cor in the closet when she wouldn't stop crying."

"He left that night, taking some friends he had gathered over the years. He came home with you, an unconscious girl covered in blood. He said he would help, and, in a while, you would be part of the family."

"I didn't see her for years; I thought he had stopped the foolish thinking. But I wasn't too hopeful; the abuse started and never stopped. Cor learned to be quiet when her father was in the room."

"He showed me to you later, and-" Her voice broke, and Faya started to cry, hands wrapped around her stomach like she felt sick.

"I didn't want this! I never asked him to do such horrible things! I raised Cor because she was a baby, and I knew her family was dead. I had hope for you, that's why I let you go. But then, when my Jannie died, and he brought another replacement, that hope died. My Fated was gone, replaced by a monster."

"Jannie remembers her childhood; I know she does. It hurts to look at them every day, knowing it's my fault their families are dead, and they are hurting. When he takes them down to that basement, they come back different."