Pt 29. Peace, Plans, and Preparation

Christmas Eve. It would have been their first Christmas together; Mavis even had some gifts for Regina. They were hiding in the closet; Mavis couldn't look at them.

"The temperature is low; the lake should freeze any day now. Have heart, Mavis."

She looked across the table to Atta's smile; she couldn't return it.

"But it's Christmas. We never got to build snowmen, have hot chocolate or cuddle near the fire. Xander is getting worse; he can't breathe on his own anymore. By the time the lake freezes, it will be too late."

Ever since the Forested Ones arrived, Mavis's mood had worsened every day. It's been five days, and Atta wasn't sure how much longer Mavis could fight. Even if the lake froze, Mavis wouldn't have the energy to fight.

Mavis left the table, the uneaten food thrown away once more. Just as Atta stood, the pack link was activated.

"The Lake is Frozen! Loa-"

The plate he was holding dropped to the floor, shattering upon impact. Mavis turned, energy filling her body.

The lake was frozen, the time had finally come for them to get Regina!

Atta and Mavis ran to the door where their bags were packed full of clothing, food, and weapons. Bags in hand, they raced through the packhouse with other warriors. They loaded up into cars, checked food, and were on their way within the hour.

Mavis couldn't believe it! If things worked out, they could be home for Christmas; this was all going to work out!

It would take six hours to reach Lotta Lunare. If they drove through the night and took minor bathroom breaks, they could get there at one in the morning. From there, they would check on the lake again, and if things were good, they would take the three-hour drive to McCall. After scouting, the three packs would finally attack the Bloody Claw Pack. Regina could be saved on Christmas.

Mavis didn't want to sleep, but she leaned on Atta's shoulder and snoring after an hour. Her Fated joined her, only waking for the bathroom or to help with driving.

As they estimated, they reached Lotta Lunare after midnight. The vehicles pulled into the driveway and onto the grass, and the Alpha exited the house.

With the warriors asleep, Gamma Marco went to greet him and Gamma Ally. The woman was ready, men and women exiting with her—bags on their shoulders, weapons at hand, and prepared to fight.

"I know it's late, are you sure you don't want to rest?"

"We have to go. We have hotels in McCall; it's a resort town. While others are planning, the Warriors will rest. Thank you for the warriors, Alpha, Gamma."

Ally slapped his shoulder and laughed.

"As if we would miss a good fight, Marco."

"I've told the council what you are planning, be ready to be questioned afterward. Pray to the Goddess Regina is there, or else we could all be thrown in jail."

Both Gammas nodded, saying goodbye to the Alpha. With her warriors loaded up, Ally waved Marcos's trucks and then loaded into her own.

The entourage of cars sped down highways and stopped at gas stations. Before the sun rose, they pulled into the city and loaded up into hotel rooms. Once everything was in and secured, the werewolves were finally able to rest.

****

"It's Christmas! Wake up, Jannie!"

Regina smiled at Cor's excitement; it was a change long-awaited for by everyone in the house. Since Abe slapped Faya, the girl had been down. She felt responsible for the mark on Faya's face, Faya repeatedly told Cor to forget, but the girl didn't.