Promotion: Waves

~Second Place Winner of the Clever Quill Contest!~

Waves by ZelTheWeavile

Genre: Pokéfic

Current Chapter Length: 4 Chapters, Complete.

Update Schedule: N/A

Quote: "That's what a natural disaster can do. It can tear people apart, but it can also bring a community closer together."

Summary: Bea and her brother are taking a vacation to Hoenn. What is supposed to be a relaxing, fun time turns into a disaster as a gigantic storm washes over. Will Bea keep her fighting spirit to make it through, or will this storm be her breaking point?

I am so thrilled that Zel has agreed to do an interview about this story.

JunieWeathers: What inspired you to write this story.

ZelTheWeavile: Oh. It's actually a bit of a strange story. My mom had a show on in the living room, and I decided to watch with her. The events in the episode were about a tsunami, and the visual-emotional portion of it really impacted and inspired me. That got me thinking later that night 'Do natural disasters exist in the Pokémon world?' I mean, yes, they do, as we can see in Absol's 'Dex entries, but we never actually see anyone talk about or mention natural disasters, nor do we see much evidence of them in the games. So that's when I decided to write about it myself about a week later.

Junie: That's really interesting. It is definitely something that's overlooked in the Pokémon World, so I'm glad that you added that in there. What kind of challenges do you face when you wrote this story, and how did you overcome them?

Zel: Finding the information I needed was probably my biggest struggle. I had to look up a lot of questions about tsunamis and currents on Google.

Another big problem was trying to find out information about Galar, as I had written this before the games had come out. I mostly was just trying to find out the name of the city where Bea lives, only to finally get my answer the day before the games were released and when I posted the final chapter.

Junie: I can definitely see where those could've posed a bit of a problem for you. I'm glad it all worked out in the end; that you could get the last chapter out right before the game came out. That's pretty cool! What was your favorite part about writing this story?

Zel: I really loved all of it. Although I have to admit, it was pretty fun being able to talk about it and the characters with my friends at school. They really helped make this a lot more enjoyable and fun.

Junie: That's really neat that you had friends that helped you out with this story. Did they inspire any part of the story or contributed to something pretty major that happened?

Zel: Yes, actually. I was having trouble with trying to figure out the ending, and nothing would fit or work. Well, my best friend proposed the idea of what happened with Allister and Bea at the end, and that's what I did. So the ending scene was actually her idea

Junie: That's awesome! I find it cool that you incorporate your own characters with some cannon ones. Which type of character (OC or cannon) do you find easier to write for this story?

Zel: Easiest to write? I really want to say it was Bea, but honestly, it would probably be Dylan. He's just such an easy and fun character to write, and I just love his protective brother side when Bea's in danger.

Junie: Cool! Well, thank you for letting me interview you. Like mentioned earlier, Waves has received second place in the Clever Quill Contest. That's not something that comes easily. Lot's of hard work and dedication has clearly been put into this book, so if you haven't already checked out this book, I suggest you do as it's a wonderful read.