Chapter 14: A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes

Sam and Elliott were in their motel room looking over the case Dean had stumbled upon. Something to do with women and showers so of course Dean had rushed out to interview said women. The radio was on a local oldies station turned down low so they both could focus on their work.

*Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say, it's alright-*

Elliott visibly winced, she hadn't expected that particular Beatles song on a local radio station. She tried to ignore the tune as it played softly through the speakers. Sam didn't miss it. He may have been a little overbearing the last few days but it only made him more aware of her ability to hide her grief.

*Little darling it's been a long cold lonely winter, little darling it seems like years since it's been here. Here comes the sun, here comes the sun-*

"Ellie? You okay?" Sam's concern not at all hidden. Unable to ignore it she quickly reached up turning the soft melody off in a flash.

"I'm fine." She lied looking back to the report in front of her. Sam's eyes narrowed.

"No, you're not. What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong Sam." She huffed still eyeing the papers in front of her.

"It's just me Ellie. You can talk to me." Sam continued to pushed. Elliott sighed letting her head hang down, but relaxed when she felt his warm hand rub soothing circles on her lower back.

"Max." She breathed quietly. "He uh, he- that song was kinda a family song. Used to sing me it to sleep when I was a baby." Unable to speak above a whisper not wanting to crack. She had been doing so good, worked a case earlier and didn't crack once. Now a stupid song on the radio was breaking her. "Like I said, it's nothing-"

"I'm sorry I pushed." He sighed and tucked a stand of coppery blonde behind her ear.

"I'll be fine Sam. Just can't listen to it right now. I really hope this case isn't a bust. I could really use the distraction." Right on time they heard Dean heard on the other side of the door. He was chuckling as he made his way through the door shutting it behind him and fixed the salt line.

"You'll never guess what kind of wack jobs live here." Dean snickered.

"What?" Elliott smiled glad for the change in topic. She was honestly doing much better but still tried to avoid anything that had to do with her deceased brother.

"So, the shower room lady was either attention crazy or just plain crazy. Then I run into a bigfoot fanatic on my way back." He huffed. "At least this towns good for a laugh."

"Wait bigfoot?" Sam snorted.

"There's LSD in the water or something man." Dean joked causing Elliott to chuckle. "Alright so downside there's most likely no case. Upside that means it's time to break for diner."

"It was worth a try, I guess. No pervy ghosts haunting the women's bathrooms." Elliott sighed, with a sour face.

"Your turn Sweetheart. Where we eating tonight?" Dean questioned beyond ready to eat.

"Chinese?" She asked hopeful smile on her lips. Chinese was always Max's favorite. They used to celebrate a successful hunt with Chinese takeout. Dean was all too quick to agree not caring too much where or what they ate. He just wanted to eat.

It was a typical Chinese restaurant. The three of them sat at a small table by a cheesy fountain. Elliott wondered if Sam had purposefully sat on the end of the bench seat to box her in. Dean sat across from them all stretched out taking up as much of his seat as possible.