Chapter 5: Lunch (Linh's P.O.V.)

I recognized the woman who greeted us at the door as Sophie's mother. "I had a feeling we'd be seeing you two around," she said to me and Tam with a smile. She was beautiful, but she didn't look anything like Sophie. She had long, auburn hair that more closely resembled Dex, and her eyes were a shimmering aquamarine. Sophie's eyes were pretty with all their gold flecks and such, but they were quite the opposite of her mother's. Even their face shapes didn't match.

I thought back to when we had first moved in and Sophie's family brought us cookies. My parents ate almost all of them, but Tam managed to sneak one from the kitchen and we split it. And it was one of the best cookies I'd ever eaten. Anyway, thinking back to when they first brought the cookies, Sophie's dad looked a little more like her, but the angles of his face were sharper. I'd have to ask Sophie about that later.

We all sat down around peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Well, all except for Sophie.

"How come you didn't get peanut butter and jelly? I asked Sophie, who was scarfing down the last of her turkey and cheese.

She shrugged. "I'm deathly allergic to peanuts."

Well that explained it.

After lunch, Tam and I walked home together.

"So, what about that?" I asked Tam.

"What about what?"

"Them, Tam. What do you think? I liked them."

Tam sighed. "Linh, I can't even remember their names. I know Sophie, obviously. And Keefe is the blonde boy. The brunette girl is either Biana or Briana, and the other one who I guess must be her brother is... Flynn? And I have no clue who the ginger is."

I smiled. "It's Biana, so you were close. And her brother is Fitz. It's a weird name, I know, but it must be a nickname. The last one is Dex."

Tam closed his eyes, repeating the names to himself. "Well, let's see if I still remember tomorrow morning."

He didn't. But there was improvement. "Sophie, Keefe, and... it's Biana, right?" I nodded furiously.

Every day was a little better.

After a week, Tam had all the names down, which was a relief. Because school was starting in two days.