9) Team Building

Alya's POV
Following your friend is not stalking, despite Nino's complaints. It's simply... observing from a distance.

Something has changed since the Dubois' came to Paris, and everyone knows it. I just figured that my bestie would trust me enough to let me know what's going on.

As soon as the five teenagers entered the bakery, Nino warned me to keep my distance.

"Als, this is going to far. Let's just go to my house. Maybe we can pla-" My boyfriend lost my attention as I noticed five figures climb onto Marinette's balcony from our position across the street.

"Nino! This is perfect!"

"No. This is called stalking. Stalking is a crime... and let me warn you woman... prison is not perfect."

"Relax babe. I'm going to figure out what's wrong with our friends once and for all, are you coming with or are you chickening out?"

And with that, my boyfriend reluctantly followed me across the street and into the Dupain-Cheng bakery.

- • - • - • - • - • - • - • - • -

After gaining Sabine's permission to head upstairs, Nino and I made our way up to Marinette's empty room.

"This is an evasion of privacy."

"Shut it Nino, they might hear us." I whisper while gesturing to the trap door. We could hear voices laughing above... but I needed to get closer.

"Wha- what are you doing? Why are you getting in her be- and now you're opening the win-dow... oh... oh! And I'm coming too, apparently." Nino rambled as I dragged him up towards the trap door.

"Keep low and listen." I order, and with that, I pushed open the window.

Marinette's POV
After school, Adrien, the kids, and I rushed towards my house and made our way onto the balcony.

"So... what's up?" I ask, attempting to rouse a conversation.

"Well, Chloe tried to hit on me again, but that's nothing new." Hugo offered.

"As long as she doesn't end up as my daughter in law," my boyfriend shuddered as I sat in his lap. "Now that would be a whole new level of disturbing."

I couldn't help but cringe at the idea as well.

"Aunt Chloe?" Hugo began laughing his head off. "Me and Aunt Chloe? That's priceless. Wait till I tell her-" and suddenly the realization hit like a bag a bricks. "Wait till I tell my aunt and god mother, in the future. A future that I might've destroyed."

The boy sunk his head down in shame. He seemed to be taking their situation harder than his siblings, specifically placing all the blame on himself.

"Wait. Chloe is your... never mind." I intercede. "But this is not your fault, Hugo. None of you could of known how this would all result. No one blames you, and we will find a way to fix everything. Trust me. I am your Mom, aren't I?"

His eyes brightened, obviously pleased by the encouragement. Adrien took this as his chance to switch the topic up a bit.

"So, any updates on our time debacle?"

"Nothing." Louis reported, "and we haven't seen an akuma for the last couple of days, so be ready for one at anytime."

I looked at Louis, this time I really looked at him.

"You have my eyes..." I whispered, never really noticing his piercing bluebell irises that were a near replica of mine.

"You have my eyes," I spoke up this time, allowing the whole group to hear my observations. "You even have the same freckles I do, right on the ridge of your nose, just under your eyes."