WHAT COMES NEXT?

From a crush, to a girlfriend...slowly changed to a lover then his wife now a mere acquaintance. A house keeper, slave who does what he wants, accompanies him when he needs my presence, throws me up once done ...that was my purpose for him. I tried hard to find the guy I fell in love with but all in vain.. He should be there deep within, why did he change I don't know. Why didn't I leave him.

Because it was too late. I carried a part of him now. If I leave I would let down the family name, it was I who stood upside down just to marry him, if I let him go.. my children would live the rest of their life without a father, they shouldn't suffer for my foolishness.

I put up with his abuses, his behaviour, this drunkard. He was a visitor, after my children were born.

I still remember the day my 4 year old daughter came running to me telling..

"mom...there's an uncle seated on our sofa".

When I came rushing from the kitchen to find out who it was. It was Samar. when I told this to him.. He took her to a mall, got her a Barbie doll, dropped her home and left for work or whatever he does to earn his money. Pallavi came running to me, tugging my saree into her smurf arms and asked..

"Mom, will this uncle bring me gifts every time he visits. If so, then tell him to get me a play set next time he visits".

It wasn't until 6 she finally understood it was actually her dad. Till date she wouldn't call him that though," mom he is here", "mom has he gone". " why is he here today?". Is all she asks . Something I hoped shouldn't happen to my children is what actually happened. I try my level best to shower them with all the goodness in the world, but I cannot fulfill a dads presence. I have failed in being a right full parent.

I get closer to my house, I ring the bell, no one opens. I knock hard and the door automatically widens a little.. well she hasn't bolted it. The entire hall way is dark with curtains closed, why did Pallavi close them so early.

Suddenly ... 4 faces emerge from the sofa. 2 back of the almirah. 4 from the kitchen and 3 behind the curtains...screaming in unison

...