DEMANDED LOVE

"Maya, My God your presence gave me a heart-ache! What are you doing here?" promptly she blocked her eyes using the back of her hands as the unexpected brightness would have caused mild irritation, I notice her tousled grey hair, head hung low her right hand gently scraping her temples and her other hand wrapped around her waist. It is so cold in here and yet the air-conditioner is turned on, I rub the surface of my arms with my palms to generate some warmth within me, had she been to a party? The Black pencil dress with a shade of pink near the waist-line, revealing her toned-legs look sassy and versatile.

"Why did you leave me here?" her voice is rasp and groggy, I place my foot forward, and ouch! Something sharp and pointy has pricked my skin, I hop on one leg, my left hand holding my right leg, I look down to notice... Fantastic! a stud earring upside-down, I lift the zebra striped needle felted rug to notice earrings and hair clips that were supposed to be arranged on the bureau shattered along with few notebooks.

"I just went for a stroll with mom, why do you look so...?" I struggle to form the right words, Maya looks haunting. "Forget it, let's get you changed into something comfy ok" I cover up with a smile and head towards the Armoire, pick out her favourite cherries printed Capri-set,

While she changed, I arrange the pillows on the bed, and pile up all the books onto my writing desk, gather everything dumped on the floor which only increased my backache by just a few hundred times, last but most importantly switched off the AC. Did she throw them down out of chagrin? She slopes on the bed dangling her legs and I move to sit in front of her.

"I had organised to spend the evening with you, off-late you had been so obsessed with the friendship day celebrations we hardly talked, but... you just!" tears formed at the edge of her eyes, yet I don't feel bad she should have informed me, and I have had a pleasant evening with Mom.

"OK Maya, relax haven't you ever heard of the word tomorrow. We will spend the entire day together, I promise. I just don't understand why are you creating a huge scene on this? Reaching for her cheeks to wipe those tears away and she just swats my hand-off.

"Ohh so these days whatever I say, they seem dramatic to you. Don't they? The things that disentangle later, is quite hard to install in my mind. She held out a sharp razor blade and pierced it deep into her wrist it almost left a hole in the spot with blood oozing all over the mattress.

I suddenly feel nauseous on noticing the fountain of blood. Where did she get the razor? Why did she have to do that? My head spins and yet I rush towards the locker and burst open the drawer gripping the first-aid box, I tumble towards her kneeling on my patella I grab her hand and pull out a ball of cotton, pressurising on the wound to stop the flow of blood, but the bleeding resumes, I dip another ball of cotton on antiseptic liquid, replacing the previous cotton with the new one,

I begin to cover the wound with white sheets of bandage. The bleeding reduced, the mattress and her dress is soaked with blood, what will I tell mom?

"Why did you do that Maya" I yell, almost crying with anguish.

"I don't have a choice when you quit listening to me! You know exactly what you have to do, and yet why do you keep refusing to do a single job. A completely easy, simple, fun, deserving job. From, the day I informed you about it, you are avoiding me, lending excuses, but you know better Pals. You know, that I'm right and there is no other way around."

"I ... I... spoke to mom about it, which we discussed earlier. Mom said it's horrendous and not related to my emergence and that he loves me.

"Oh! Your mom is just hiding the truth Pals, did she ever figure out the truth, what changed him. No, that's because the truth is calamitous; he doesn't like you, and that big thick-headed brother of yours he's no-way better. He just left you all alone out here to struggle while he enjoys his life with his Barbie-doll.

It's in your hands now Pals, to put an end to all the affliction at least to reveal your mom from all the purgatory. As a daughter, you must take care of your mom. Didn't she mention you were her happiness?" Now how did she know that, did I mention it to her... "How do you..?"

"Pals... focus, you have to do it" holds my hand over hers, so taut I could feel my knuckles crumbling on the inside.

"Maya, but it's not right.."

"There is no but ... you do as I say, or you know what I will do" and she rises the razor blade, not towards her wrist but mine

"ok ... ok ... I will, but when he gets back home. I will" I need to hide the razors from her, from where did she even get these.

"Remember Pals, there's no stepping back, I was the one who comforted you during those sleepless nights, I was there when you were in such a mess, it was me who assured everything will be alright, I stayed late in the night until you fell asleep, I made sure you stayed cheerful, you enjoyed my presence right? The best companion, friend everything you ever wanted I fulfilled all your desires.

Now, trust me on this as well because you don't have a choice and I will never let you down. I will take leave, but make sure you remember your task; I will be back when I have to, Bye.

"Pallavi, come to have dinner" I hear mom's voice and I shout back "I'm not hungry mom. I will have mine when I feel like eating.".

"Is everything alright?" Mom asks and I lie

"Yes mom it's fine, I will complete my assignments and then have dinner"

"Shall I bring them to your room?" Mom questions

"No ma, forget it I'm coming." Mom would never compromise when it comes to food; she will always make sure I've eaten especially before going to bed.

I skim to the dinner table, place the rice and curry on the plate, I absent-mindedly nodded to all her questions and prattle, left the place saying good-night to mom.