You Are What You Eat

Dinner was more than awkward. It was tense and suspenseful and the only who seemed unbothered by it was Mugen. While his mother sat across from me drilling bottomless holes on the side of my face when she thought I wasn't looking, he ate in silence without a care in the world.

Typical.

"So, how was everyone's day?" Neagan asked to lighten the mood. He looked between me and his mom, knowing exactly where the tension was surfacing from.

It was dead silence filled with heightened anticipation on how this dinner was going to end.

"Nothing?" Neagan looked around the table. I picked at my food and refused to meet anyone's eye. "No one. Nada. Ziltch." He nudged Selena who gave him a dirty look. "Okay." He went back to eating.

"Nora might be pregnant." Ruben randomly blurted out. Neagan snorted, Falen rolled her eyes, and Mugen. Well you know what he did.

Nothing.

"Congratulations Ruben." I congratulated him earnestly. "Kids are a wonderful part of life and a beautiful blessing."

"What do you know about kids?" Emilia questioned me spitefully. "Do you have any? I'm told you were married before."

I took in a breath and prepared myself for the worst. "I have no kids."

"Why on earth did you get a divorce?"

"I don't see how that's any of your concern-."

"He wasn't putting down the dick to your liking?"

"MA!" All three sons shouted at her while my jaw detached from its hinges. Suddenly I didn't feel so good. Everything that I ate threatened to come back up. My head hurt and I lightheaded. I thought I handle this, turns out I could not.

"Do not disrespect her. She is my wife." Mugen said lowly.

"I've seen no marriage certificate indicating such." Emilia taunted him haughtily. There seemed to be an unlimited amount of unspoken revengeful words between the mother and son. They stared each other down and it was only until Alex intervene that they finally looked away.

"We are at a dinner table not in WWE smack down ring. Let us please be civilized." He talked to his wife mostly.

His words did nothing to dissipate the growing animosity surrounding us all in a closed circuit. It was only a matter of time until the system blew and I knew just who would be the one to light the fuse.

I glanced at Emilia who was now smiling sickeningly sweet at me. "You're right. How inconsiderate of me." I trusted nothing about that conniving curve of her blood red lips. "You're about to be a part of this family and maybe we got off on the wrong foot."

You think.

"Here." She grabbed bottle of apple cider from under the table. "Have some apple cider. Mugen tells me that you don't drink alcohol." I eyed it wearily.

This bitch tryna kill me.

All eyes were on me, waiting to see if I accepted her peace offering. I didn't trust her one bit but if I declined, I'd look like the unreasonable one.

Fuck it.

I held out my empty glass and she stood up to fill my glass. "Thank you." I bit out through gritted teeth as she poured cider into my glass.

"Nonsense, you are to be my figlia." She waved me off and returned to her seat.

"Look at that. Everybody getting along and what not." Neagan said and I wished he'd shut the hell up.