III - Locker Talk

Between classes you stood at your locker fixing up your Nightmare on Elm Street poster.

Your backpack hung on its hook in the center.

A few stationary items neatly placed below it.

Candy and wrappers messily scattered on the shelf above it.

The locker next to you opened and you jumped as a hand gently tapped your shoulder.

Henry Bowers had you being apprehensive of everything lately. But the hand did not belong to him.

Instead, you found yourself turning to face the complete opposite.

Bill Denbrough.

"S-sorry (y/n). I didn't mean to b-bother you." He apologized with a reddening face in reaction to seeing the dead expression you gave him.

You didn't look at him that way on purpose of course, you had just been really jumpy lately due to a certain boy. Having the dead expression helped mask the distress in your eyes.

"You are not bothering me at all!" You chirped, giving him a shy smile. "You just startled me Bill, I'm sorry."

He reflected your shy smile, his blush becoming deeper.

-

Your relationship with Bill Denbrough was complicated.

You had a fondness for him.

Not in a romantic way, because you're older than him - but in more of a sisterly way.

Out of him and all his outcast friends, he was the only one you could tolerate. Stan was okay too, but not really relatable.

Bill was like you.

You saw yourself in him.

With each of his stutters and grimaces you felt a warmness seep through your heart.

It reminded you of your own failed social interactions that had caused you to slink into the shadows and become a "loner".

He had lost like you had.

He was so sweet too.

He reminded you so much of him. Of someone you lost.

You almost wished he was in your grade so you could be friends.

But at the moment you were just acquaintances, and that was how you intended to keep it. There was only so much you could do to not have your social image fall any lower.  A "loner" with younger misfit friends? No thanks.

Not having a friendship with him also saved you from having to be there for him.

How does one comfort a boy who carries the guilt for his younger brother's tragedy?

You can't be there for people.

You can barely be there for yourself.

Then there was that guilt itself.

Bill believes that whatever happened to Georgie was his fault.

He carries so much guilt that he's convinced himself his little brother is not dead.

He's obsessed with figuring out where Georgie disappeared to.

His friends humor him. As well as his parents. And everyone around him.

You try your best to do the same.

But it makes you frustrated that Bill could focus his energies on finding the killer, to save other children, but instead keeps obsessing over the fact that Georgie could still be out there.

Georgie was not out there.

Georgie was dead.

And it hurts to have Bill Denbrough smile at you with such purity, such friendliness...

while you tuck away a notebook filled with theories on how his little brother met his end.