20. Out

The following conversation wasn't a suggestion

The following conversation wasn't a suggestion. In fact, Sabine didn't so much as utter a single word before she swiftly withdrew to the backyard, circling around to the side of the house for a sliver of privacy before she blasted him for disrespecting her or something like that. Like a lamb to the slaughter house, Grayson willingly followed his girlfriend dejectedly, annoyed that he had to come up with a stupid excuse why he couldn't partake in another round of titty cup. Before he ditched, he tried to make eye contact with Charlotte to secretly convey his apology but she had already moved onto another game like the social butterfly that she was.

"You're embarrassing me," Sabine groaned through clenched teeth, fisting her hands at her side.

For the first time that night, Grayson recognized that Sabine dressed up, probably for him. She wore a jean skirt and a red bikini top. He once told her that her red bikini was his favorite. Sabine curled her thick blonde hair and pinned it away from her face with a gaudy floral headband that, on any other occasion, would look preposterous. Her red lipstick matched her bikini and, at the moment, her furious flushed cheeks. She looked really good - flat tummy, toned arms, tanned legs, and recently manicured toenails - and she walked in on him aiming a ball at another girl's tits. Not just another girl, but Charlotte.

Instead of allowing his blood pressure to sky rocket, Grayson tilted his head back and stared up at the midnight sky. When the stars swam in the bleak abyss, he knew that the alcohol was processing through his system at a faster rate than anticipated. "Please explain to me how I'm embarrassing you."

Sabine huffed. "I walk in on you playing titty cup with her!"

"How is that embarrassing?"

Her jaw ticked as she clenched her teeth. "Please don't do this," she begged with an angry hitch in her tone.

He threw up his hands in defeat. "What? I'm seriously asking! I'm not gonna pretend to know what's going on in your head."

"You shoot a ball at her boobs for the entire game! That's all you're looking at!" Her voice rose a pitch and quickly lowered when she realized she was yelling. Her fists released so that one hand could pinch the bridge of her nose.

When he was getting ready for the evening, Grayson texted Sabine to ensure she received an invite to the party. Of course, Charlotte was already a step ahead of him and extended an invite to his girlfriend without him saying anything to her first. That was probably the first wrong move he made that night. He didn't win any brownie points for making sure she was invited. Her texts were shorter than usual, but Grayson guessed Sabine was at least thankful that he thought of her. His night would be going much differently if Sabine knew that Charlotte - the girl she held at arm's length because Grayson lied about their male/female friendship from the jump - was throwing a party and Grayson hadn't invited her.

Then again, he didn't really think he was going to find himself outside the party arguing with Sabine either.

"I'm not staring at her tits, Sabine," Grayson explained. "I look in her direction for like two seconds. You've played the game before. You know what it's like."