9. Invasion of Privacy

Charlotte

Charlotte

Spent twenty-four hours

I need more hours with you

You spent the weekend

Getting even, ooh ooh

The little white speaker on the ledge built into the grey marble tile around her modern deep water bathtub spilled out Adam Levine's angelic vocals. In her opinion, Maroon 5 wasn't appreciated as much as they should be as a band with only three grammy's among other awards out of thirty-plus nominations.

'Cause girls like you

Run around with guys like me

'Til sundown, when I come through

I need a girl like you, yeah yeah

Charlotte cranked up the volume to drone out the overlapping arguing voices of her mother and Georgia. Her mum woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and now she was rampaging a war path, working her way through the ranks to destroy everyone else's good moods. Perhaps the only safe haven in the house was her personal bathroom which is where she was currently neck deep hot bubbly soapy water with her head propped up on a fluffy white towel.

Charlotte sang as loud as she could along with Adam, bopping her head to the beat. When she couldn't drown out the voices outside of her bedroom, Charlotte took a deep breath, unravelled the bun on top of her head, and plunged her whole body beneath the soapy surface.

The muted music vibrated in her ears. The tense vibes that filled the house failed to touch her underneath the water. She slowly drew her weightless arms around her upper body, holding herself together. Charlotte savored the light buoyancy, feeling light as a feather, for as long as her lungs could survive under water.

Before she rose to the surface, two hands dove under the water and wrenched Charlotte out. "Charlotte!"

Charlotte latched onto the side of the tub, splashing water over the ceramic tub side, while she gasped for breath. Shoving her mother away from her, Charlotte stabilized herself, caught her breath, and flung the water out of her face. "Mum! Are you serious?!"

Camilla knelt on the ground beside the tub on the fluffy white bath mat. "Are you trying to kill yourself, Charlotte Grace?"

"Mum, I'm naked!" Charlotte sank under the water, covering her body with soapy bubbles.

Camilla's botox brows knitted together in confusion and worry. She rested her hands on the side of the tub, finding no issue with her invasion of privacy. "Can you turn down that rubbish music?"

She barely refrained from rolling her eyes. "You came into my private bathroom where I'm taking a private bath and then demand I turn down my music?"