12. Returning a Favor

A redeeming quality about his girlfriend was her ability to work the crowd

For dinner, where he gorged himself on some of the best and freshest food he's ever eaten in his life, Sabine returned to his side at a table on the second floor where he sat with Delilah and his parents. She smiled, beaming with happiness and contentedness. On multiple occasions, Sabine told him how much she liked Charlotte. She said it was so easy to get along with her.

A weight lifted off of his shoulders at the sound of that. The fact that his current girlfriend wasn't afraid of Charlotte was a huge relief. Now he didn't have to choose between the two of them.

After dinner, his friends pulled him away back to the top deck. Sabine got lost in the crowd but he saw her mingling with friends and new people. She smiled endearingly to every person she met, explaining that she was Grayson's girlfriend. It made him feel even better to watch Charlotte introduce Sabine to different people. Eventually, Sabine seemed comfortable enough for Charlotte to leave her alone while Charlotte circled the deck, ever the perfect Thorpe daughter, meeting and greeting everyone possible before the night was over.

He balanced on the side of the yacht, sitting on the top wrung of the railing. Linc and Marshall were flirting it up with some girls they met at the party that were way out of their league. One of them had already tried talking to Grayson, but he promptly mentioned his girlfriend.

"Hey, man, you want something else to drink?" Linc asked, pushing away from the railing.

Grayson handed him his empty cup. "That pineapple juice stuff, please."

"No prob." Linc bent his head to whisper in his lady friend's ear. "You coming?"

Grayson watched them walk away, thankful that Linc had set his sights on someone else other than Charlotte. However, Linc wouldn't be the only guy on the yacht vying for her attention. Multiple guys that Grayson knew from school or from summers spent together on the island attempted to flirt with Charlotte and win her affection. Every time she smoothly extracted herself from their touchy hands and made up some excuse that she had to go do something.

All the while, her lavender dress subtly drew attention to her curves, highlighting her natural femininity and elegance. She walked with such confidence and held her head high. She deserved for every male gaze to trail behind her as she walked away.

Grayson clenched his fist, piercing the sensitive flesh of his palm with his fingernails. I'm supposed to check out my girlfriend not Charlotte.

It was getting really annoying how often he had to remind himself to refer his train of thought to his girlfriend and not his best friend.

Speaking of, Grayson stretched his gaze to the farthest reaches of the yacht, searching for either of the two women on his mind. Indeed, he spotted Charlotte, weaving through the crowd. Even from yards away, Grayson and Charlotte made eye contact. She seemed to be purposefully making her way to his side. He braced himself on the side of the boat. Did she have anything to say about Sabine? He knew Sabine's side of the story, but what about Charlotte?