14. Gone

Sabine hadn't spoken to him in two days

Because he was accustomed to her text messages and her company, he found himself checking his phone more than often. The absence of her humor, her romance, and her friendship surprisingly caused him to miss her.

But not enough to reach out. Not enough to check in. Not enough to try to right things that had gone wrong. Not enough to a apologize again.

So he found himself in the Thorpe's home again the next morning where the housekeeper, Chastity, was cooking up a storm in the kitchen. Chastity was in her mid-twenties and time had done her well. Considering that Andrew knew who she was, Grayson assumed that Chastity travelled with the Thorpe family from the United States to England.

"If it isn't the Chastity Banks," Grayson called from the doorway where he saw her slinging pancakes and flipping breakfast sausage patties.

"Oh, Grayson!" Chastity dropped her cooking tools, slipping across the kitchen floor in her fuzzy socks. She flung her arms around his neck and squeezed him tightly. "Boy, oh boy, look at you!" Time in the UK had somewhat altered her accent. She elongated her vowels now. "You've a...a...well, a man now!" She said with a hint of laughter. She held him at arm's length and squeezed his muscles.

He flexed and smiled flirtatiously. Chastity was way out of his zone and too old for him, but he liked to hit on her every now and then. "Been working out for you, babe." Grayson winked and brushed the hair off of her shoulder.

Chastity rolled her hazel eyes and backed out of his embrace. "Come, come. I've got breakfast cooking."

He trailed her into the kitchen and found a cup for coffee which had finished brewing in the pot. "Is Charlotte awake?"

"I believe I heard her in the shower not too long ago," Chastity said, returning to her position at the stove.

"So how have you been? Fill me in," he poured the coffee into his glass and leaned against the counter across from Chastity.

Chastity sighed and absentmindedly poured pancake batter into the skillet. "I've just been working, you know me. Since Georgia is getting married, I have to do more day to day errands for Camilla as well as plan events and whatnot. They keep me busy." Chastity smiled at him. "And what about you? I believe I've missed very important years of your life. High school, girlfriends, parties, driving, college. What's been up?"

"Grayson!!!" Charlotte called from the top of the stairs. "Are you here?!"

Grayson rolled his eyes. "Yes, Char!" He yelled back.

He heard something similar to a squeal. "Let's go to the beach today!!"

"Breakfast first!" He suggested while Chastity just shook her head at Charlotte's antics. No, Charlotte hadn't changed at all. Still the vibrant, enigmatic, charming young lady she was before.