Princes Need To Learn

Arthit's POV

I looked around the palace in pure awe. New and Gun stood beside me as we toured their palace. To say that the palace was beautiful was an understatement. The palace radiated elegance and my own home paled in comparison to this splendour.

I tried to absorb the magnificence of it all, the mellow lights, the masterful sculptures on the walls, their beauty struck me. People here were simple, but their buildings were adorned with art surpassing any I had ever seen in any palace before.

"The palace truly is beautiful." I whispered as if afraid that if I was too loud, I would break the serenity of the atmosphere here. Every niche of the palace was beautiful, perfect, and I couldn't find any words to describe it. I felt like a trespasser who didn't even have the right to witness such opulence.

"This palace has been used by the Mermen kings for aeons now. Each ruler added his own mark, adding to the richness of the beauty here." New said, eyes sparkling with pride.

"Why do the buildings not have any water? We are underwater yet inside the palace we are walking not floating." I asked.

"All our buildings have a barrier to keep the water out. This barrier is created when the building's first stone is laid. It's easier to keep things still, otherwise floating objects are quite the bother!" Gun replied.

I nodded, surprised at the level of knowledge these people possessed. "How is the barrier created?"

"We have our spiritual leaders, the Ascetics , who can perform enchantments."

"Magic?" I asked, bewildered.

"Kind of, yeah."

"Is that why you people have legs instead of fish tails?"

New raised an eyebrow at me, clearly amused, and replied. "No, all mermen can do that. When in water we have fish tails, as you call them. And when not in water, we are pretty much like normal human males. Like you. Except our skin glows more. And may be a little softer than human skin."

I looked at the two men in surprise. "So you people have...uh...your manhood... like us?"

"You mean, do we have cocks? Of course, how the hell are we supposed to mate otherwise? But mermen are endowed with slightly larger cocks than human males." New informed me.

"But don't fish breed... in a different way?" I asked, feeling more stupid by the second.

"Well, they do. But we are not regular fish. We don't breed like them. We breed like humans. Babes are carried in our bodies till they are ready to come into the world."

"Well then, where are the mermaids? Are they not allowed to..."

I was cut off by Gun. "What now? Where are the who?"

I looked at them in surprise while they looked at me questioningly. "Mermaids. The females among you." I had not seen a single mermaid till now.

"We don't have females. No mermaids." Gun stated simply.

"Well then who carries the babes?" I asked. My brain could barely grasp whatever they were saying. What kind of myths had I been entertaining if mermaids do not exist at all? Was this some joke?

"We do. Our species is not divided into males and females. We have the Bearers and the Planters. The Bearers carry the babes while the Planters plant their seed into the Bearers. Our gestation period lasts for 12 months, instead of 9."