Memories

Arthit's POV

Kongpob. I smiled to myself. I couldn't believe this, I had retained all my memories. Him and me, us, everything. I should probably have been distressed that I couldn't forget him but I had wanted to remember him anyway. Yes, the pain of living without him would be unbearable but if my memories hadn't been erased, did it mean I could find my way back to him somehow?

"Ow, Prince Arthit. You are awake." May spoke as she came into the room.

"Yes May, how long have I been out?" I had no idea how I had reached the Palace in the first place.

"Around 2 days. Prince Arthit, we are all so glad you are back. You were gone for a whole month, just disappeared and nobody knew how or where."

"How did I reach the palace?"

"Well, some fishermen found you on the coast, unconscious. They brought you to the palace immediately."

"Well, I am back now. Did my Father crown Mook as the Queen?" I asked, hoping that he had. Mook was the eldest among my sisters and she was by far a better choice for the Kingdom than me.

May lowered her gaze and nodded meekly. "Perhaps you should talk to the King about this. I am not suited to answer your queries."

"May, I am relieved that Father crowned Mook. Could you do me a favour?"

She looked at me questioningly. I motioned for her to come closer and she walked cautiously over to the bedside. I almost laughed at how scared she was. Maybe because she thought I would force myself on her.

"Can you not tell my parents that I am awake yet? And I have something to talk to you about. Come back here after supper, please." Her eyes nearly popped out of her skull when she heard me say please. I don't remember ever requesting anyone, especially not a servant, before. For some reason, I felt I could confide in May. Also, her sister worked at our State Library. I wanted to find some answers, but mostly I wanted to find a way back to Kongpob.

She looked flustered as she nodded hastily before taking her leave. I drifted back to sleep, thoroughly missing Kongpob already.

**********************

That night, May sneaked into my room after supper, looking as pale as a ghost. "Sire?" She called out softly.

I motioned for her to take a seat by the bed. The poor girl nearly jumped out of her skin. "I-I... Sire... I am en-engaged... I..."

"Relax May. I didn't call you here to bed you. I have a few questions for you. Does your sister still work at the Library?"

"Jane? Yes she does. But Sire she too is betrothed to..."

"Oh come on, do you honestly think that low of me? I am not trying to seduce anyone. My heart already belongs to someone." Why did she think I was a chronic molester?

Visibly comforted, she blushed slightly and said, "Forgive me Sire. But you have a reputation for being a Casanova. Why do you want to know about Jane?"

"I need some help from her and also from you. I want to reach my beloved, but that person is so far away. I want to find a way to get to him. I need to see if the Library houses anything that can answer my queries."

"Him? A man?" She asked, clearly bewildered.

"Does it bother you that I love another man?" I asked. She shook her head.

"Sire, forgive me for my boldness but who is this man you have fallen for? When?"

I looked at her and smiled softly. "Will you believe me if I told you the story about what happened to me while I was gone?"