Chapter Twenty-Four: The End

It occurred to Anne that a picnic study date was a bad idea.

Not that it wasn't enjoyable—it was—bad only in the sense that her and Gilbert had only managed to study for fifteen minutes before they had become distracted by nature, and by each other.

Gilbert had his head in Anne's lap, and was thoroughly enjoying listening to her talk about the various things on her mind; story ideas, her love for Parks and Recreation, Diana and Charlie's burgeoning romance.

"Gilbert, what kind of wedding do you think Charlie and Diana would have?"

"You might be jumping the gun there a little bit considering that they had their first kiss last week."

"You're no fun." responded Anne.

"I'm fun sometimes," he said, eyebrows wiggling.

"Sometimes." Anne agreed, smiling.

Anne trailed her finger lazily across the sides of Gilbert's face, enjoying how his eyes closed at her touch.

After a peaceful moment, Gilbert opened his eyes again.

"Not that I don't love laying here, but we really should be studying."

Anne groaned. "Do we have to? Can't I just admire you forever?"

"You make a convincing case, but academia calls." Gilbert replied.

"I suppose I shall answer, most begrudgingly of course." She said as she dipped down to plant a kiss on the tip of Gilbert's nose.

Gilbert sat up slowly and started reorganizing his papers, which had been long cast aside.

"Quiz me."

Anne took the stack of cards out of his hand.

"When did construction begin on the Suez Canal?" She asked.

"April 25th, 1859."

"Correct."

"What did the Soviet Union do in order to garner favor in the Middle East?"

"Supply arms?"

"Are you asking me or telling me?"

"Supply arms."

"Correct." She giggled a little.

"I think we deserve a break," Anne said.

"We just started!"

"Yes, but I can't stand to study on a day like this. Look around!"

It was true, they were in the middle of an almost obscenely beautiful vista.

The early spring green of the grass was backlit by the powerful rays of golden hour, and the trees that surrounded their field blew softly in the wind. Clouds tinged pink puttered lazily across the sky.

"Mother Nature is spectacular." Anne said in awe.

Without warning, she stood up from her spot on their blanket.