Chapter Twenty-Three: Triple Date

While Anne and Gilbert were enjoying each other's company at Green Gables, Diana and Ruby were arguing in Josie's kitchen.

"Please Diana?"

"No! I don't want to force anything, besides, it'll be awkward."

"But a triple date would be so romantic," Ruby swooned.

"I'm pretty sure a triple date is just six people hanging out."

"Right! It's low pressure, it's comfortable, you get to be with Charlie. There's literally no downside."

"Well for one thing, Charlie and I aren't dating."

"Yeah, but you've been snapping every night for like a month. He literally sends you shirtless streaks."

"He did that once!"

"Still counts."

Diana could think of no suitable response.

"Besides," Ruby continued, "you need to get ball rolling on this relationship. Also..."

She trailed off.

"Also?" Diana said nervously.

"Also Josie sort of already told him that it was happening!"

Diana could not believe her ears. The betrayal! Alas, there was nothing she could do (besides go upstairs and yell at Josie for a while, which she did).

"Oh calm down," Josie said to her once she paused to catch her breath, "It's not like I arranged your marriage or something. I just told him that Ruby and Jerry wanted to do a fun triple date with you two plus Anne and Gilbert."

Diana did not know what to say, she was so enraged. Thankfully for Josie, at that very moment a text came up on Diana's phone from Charlie, which read:

I'll see you Saturday, right? :)

Diana felt heat rush to her face. Her anger melted away, and was replaced by butterflies like she had never felt before. This was her opportunity; it was now or never.

Not wanting to seem desperate, she waited a whole four minutes before responding:

Yup! It's a (triple) date!
——————————————————————
When Saturday finally arrived, The day couldn't pass slower for Diana. A whirlwind of thoughts and emotions passed through her brain.

Charlie was having a similar experience, and Gilbert was providing no help.

"Should I was wear a tie?" He asked, standing in front of his bedroom mirror.

"Definitely not." Gilbert responded absentmindedly.

"Is it weird that I'm not picking her up?" He asked.

"No, I mean, I'm not picking Anne up."

"Jerry is picking Ruby up."

"That's just so they can make out in his car before we all meet."

"They really do love doing that."

Gilbert snorted.

"Should I bring her flowers?"

"Dude no. This is supposed to be a chill date. Stop freaking out."

"This is my first date with Diana!"

"You've hung out with her before though! Nothing is different, you just need to act normal."

Charlie harrumphed to himself, but spoke no more on the subject.