Chapter Twenty: Enamored

Ruby and Jerry were getting along swimmingly, and they had no qualms about showing that fact in public.

Jane grimaced as she watched Ruby latch herself onto Jerry, arms thrown around his neck, and lips locked in the middle of the hallway, entirely ignorant of the rest of the world.

The pair remained at this for the better part of a minute before Anne arrived, joining the pair, and creating an opportunity for Jane herself to enter the circle.

"So!" Jane began, "you two seem to be getting along nicely."

Ruby beamed, leaning into Jerry with an arm around his side.

"Yeah," continued Anne, "how long have you been together?"

"Two weeks!" Ruby said excitedly.

Jerry kissed the top of her head, and Jane swore a little bit of her soul died.

Just as Ruby began to drape herself over Jerry once more, the bell for first period rang. Anne and Jane had class together, so they happily left the two lovebirds to their own devices.

As they walked the hallway, Anne decided to bring up the elephant in the room.

"Did you ever talk to Jerry?"

Jane was silent.

"Jane."

She took a deep breath.

"Anne I couldn't."

A beat.

"He was basically dating Ruby by the time I worked up the courage to talk to him. And besides, they're happy together. Like, really happy. I couldn't do that to Ruby."

Anne didn't know what to say.

Just as they reached the door, Anne grabbed Jane's arm.

"You're a really great friend, Jane. And no offense to him, but you deserve someone way better than Jerry."

"I don't know about that, but I'd at least like someone who's into me."

"I'm certain you're gonna get that."

Jane smiled a little at her friend's sincerity.

...

First period could not go slower for Gilbert. Mr. Phillips was droning on and on about something unimportant, while Gilbert's thoughts were occupied by Anne.

How she had looked up in that tree. How she laughed. How her hair was softer than he thought it would be.

How she had kissed him.

Gilbert reminded himself of that fact; she had kissed him. Surely that meant she liked him.

Of course, she might not be in love with him, but he decided that wasn't an issue, as he had no plans of telling her that little factoid.

Still, he was anxious to see her.

After class mercifully ended, Gilbert made his way towards Anne's locker, determined to speak to her.

He spotted her encircled by friends. She was in the middle of telling a tale, it would appear from her vivid gesticulation. Her audience was laughing merrily.

He allowed himself to admire her for a moment before approaching them.

"Hey guys," he started unsteadily, "how is everyone doing? I just had a truly thrilling class with Mr. Phillips."