15

"Adelaide I do wish you would come inside." Harry's voice pulled my mind back to reality. While he jumped in the shower I made my way to the backyard. It was a cool summer evening, a storm off in the distance. My favorite type of weather.

I was sat in one of the chairs on the covered patio. With the tall walls surrounding the yard and being under the awning I was not able to be seen by the neighbors, a fact that Harry should've realized so I rolled my eyes at him and did not move.

In the few days that had passed he was constantly worried about my safety which I appreciated and hated all at the same time. He felt that every window was a danger, he didn't like me going to work, and he barely wanted me to leave the house.

I heard the low toll of thunder off in the distance. "Adelaide please come in with me. I don't want you out here." Harry's voice came out slightly whiny.

"I'm fine. The yard is extremely private and the neighbors can't even see me when I'm under here." I pointed up to the awning. "I'm safe Harry."

"Addy there's a storm coming, that's why I want you to come inside. Besides we both know how you feel about storms." I shot Harry a look telling him to tread carefully. I was in a mood this particular evening. A mood that I could not quite explain.

Normally I would be thrilled to have an evening like this. Harry and I had some delicious pasta for dinner, we watched a little TV, I had a lovely bath, and then I was relaxing outside enjoying my favorite weather while wearing my comfiest lounge set. It was a good night, so why was I in such a mood?

Harry stepped closer to me and quickly pulled me up off the chair. He sat down in my place and pulled me into his lap before I could say a word. "I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to tease you. I just want you inside where you are safe, and you don't like storms. I thought you would want to spend the night cuddling."

I was quiet for a moment, less annoyed once I realized Harry was worried about my safety from the storm and not the note for once. Plus he was right, I am terrified of storms. Any night that it storms I nearly cry because I'm so terrified. Wrapped in Harry's arms is the only place I feel safe. For that reason anytime it storms I spend the duration of the storm cuddling Harry if at all possible.

"It's not storming yet." I pointed out, not really in the mood to talk. "Are you okay?" Harry asked me. I could tell that he was growing slightly frustrated with me, for understandable reasons, but that didn't make me feel any better.

I shrugged. "Just feeling a little moody. Sorry." Harry's chest vibrated against me as he laughed. "It's okay Addy. I'll gladly put up with your moods, please just come inside with me?"

"A few more minutes please? I know I don't like storms but the energy in the air before feels...good." Harry sighed. "Fine. A few more minutes. But the next time it lightning's we are going in, okay?" I nodded, happy to have a few more minutes outside.

I leaned into Harry's chest as he toyed with the ruffle on the cuff of my pale pink, cotton lounge shorts. The wind blew softly, causing my hair to tickle my cheeks. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, it felt so nice outside.

Upon opening my eyes I noticed Scott walking through the door to the patio. He seemed nervous. "I'm sorry to interrupt Miss.Vanderbilt, a woman is here. She claims to be your mother."

"What do you mean? You know who my mother is, just let her in." I was confused why Scott would announce the arrival of my mother. He knows who she is and of course she is welcome here any time. "No ma'am, it's not your mother Victoria." Scott screeched the back of his neck. "This woman claims to be your biological mother."

I was silent for a moment before I began laughing. There was no way that was really happening. My birth mother at my door. No way. I only stopped laughing when Harry said my name. Then the severity of the situation hit me. I felt my eyes go wide and I suddenly felt as though I was unable to speak. I looked to Harry for help.