05 | oh my god!

To top her cherry on the cake, the power goes almost immediately leaving Ishita a shivering and shaking mess. She collapses on the floor, struggling to catch a breath. With her knees clenched to her chest, she buried her face deep. Tears were flowing non stop from here eyes. 

Raman's concern shot up with every one of her sobs. He sits down on the floor of the lift thinking fo ways to comfort her. He reaches out his hand to her and withdraws it again. He was never good in stressy situations. It always got on his nerves, he ended making some meaningless jokes and offend the other person. 

"Kuch nahi Hoga. It's just power cut" [Nothing will happen.it's just Power cut] he said in a low soothing tone so that she wouldn't be too spooked. He again reached out his hand and let it land on her shoulder. She took a deep sigh, "Mujhe andhere se darr lagta hai" [I'm afraid of darkness]

"Do one thing, close your eyes and take a deep breath" he instructs her as he leaned on closer to where she sat. Classic grounding technique might help her, he thought. She looked up to him, with a snark in her eyes and snapped, "Usse power aayegi?" [Then the power will come?]

"Just...Do as I say" he hesitated. He waited for her to take a deep breath and the guided her way into some peace of mind at least, "Breath in for 4 seconds, hold it in for 7 seconds and let it out in 8 seconds" After about 5 times of relaxed breathing, she seemed to have come into account of her surroundings and stopped hyperventilating. 

He dialled the number on the lift but it was engaged. so he decided to call his friend, owner of the mall, to the rescue. "Hello sir yaha ki lift bandh ho gayi hai. Please kuch kijiye" [Sir, this lift has stopped. Please do something]

After about solid half-hour, Lift door opened. Raman gave a sigh of relief and turned towards Ishita who was now hugging him lightly with her eyes tightly closed "Miss Iyer" he called out softly. She stayed silent, he again almost whispered "ishita"

On still seeing no response from her, he broke the hug. But she pulled him closer again and clung herself onto him as if her life depended on it "No, don't leave me"

"No, I'm not leaving you Ishita. See, everything's fine. Lift is proper. Come" he grabbed her by her shoulders and showing her to the opened lift door. She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. He was right, everything was proper but still she was kind of afraid. She clutched Raman's shirt and walked after him. After coming out of the mall, she was a bit comfortable. Maybe it was because she was still shaken by the incident or maybe because she felt something towards him. She just shrugged it aside. 

They drove back to their house in utter silence. Raman tried to talk to ishita a few times but she gave him nods and one-word responses. Raman entered the house and dropped the shopping bags on the sofa. She settled down on the nearby chair. He walked to the dining table, took a glass of water and said with a smirk, "Yeh aapne acha nahi Kiya bhabhi Ji" [You didn't do this right Bhabhi]

"Bhabhi Ji?" she asks with an incredulous expression on her face. Was he out of his mind? 

"Haan, you're my bhabhi" [Yes, you're my bhabhi] he said and sauntered into the living room as if it was the most casual thing ever. Ishita was now puzzled, she clarifies "How?"

"You were getting married to Subramanium, right?" he asks. She nodded her head in response. He just shrugs, "So he's my friend. Kind of like brother from another mother. Iss haisiyat se aap meri bhabhi huvi na" [So he's my friend and brother and by this relation you're my sister-in-law right?]

"You're Subbu's friend?" ishita's brain is fuzzy from the new information. she was already tired from the lift incident, she did not need this that day. He hollers, "Yes. Then what? Why do you think I allowed you to stay in this house? because you're alone or something. I did it because you're my bhabhi. I did it for your Subbu"

"Kya" she stood up with a horrified expression [What] Raman phone rung. He picked up and said loudly into the phone, "Haan Subbu bol" [Yes, Subbu tell me]

Ishita face changed, she no longer looked tired but she was tensed. She sat upright trying to grasp every word Raman was speaking since he let out the words Subbu. Tension creeping through her. Raman continued "Don't worry yaar. Bhabhi is here. I'll bring her tomorrow your wedding is totally on"

That was enough for Ishita. She was shell shocked. She didn't know how to react to this situation. She had become numb...completely numb. She was speechless. She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out except a gasp.  She felt her legs giving away, and with a thud, she fell.

Raman turned to witness the shocking sight. He dropped his phone and ran towards her. He sat down near her; lifted her head, placed it on his lap and caressed her face "Ishita...Ishita...wake up.. Ishita"

_____________

lol so maybe this sucks and i'm reconsidering and regretting why i ever wrote this story.