11 | Kal Ho Na Ho

Raman and Ishita entered the venue hand in hand making loads of people on the way assume them as a couple. They greeted a couple of people and went along the way to search for Neha. Raman took out his cell to call her. 

Ishita took this time to look around the room which was richly decorated with confetti, stickers, banners, candles and whatnot. There was an open bar at the end of the room where most of the population seemed to be there. In the middle, there was a dancefloor with shiny disco lights hung above. The music was so loud that it made her skin tingle. The bass thumped along with her heartbeat as though they were one, filling her from head to toe with music. 

Over the roar of music, a distant, hazy chatter could be heard. She couldn't quite make out any words, but laughter rang in her ears and wouldn't seem to stop. Just then, Neha and Mihir were spotted. They ran across the room, "Ishu, You look gorgeous"

Ishita mumbled a quick thanks, while Neha ordered "Raman you go with Mihir and meet everyone. I'll take ishita with me."

Neha hugged ishita, "so, Ishu. Hope I can call you that" Ishita giggled and said yes. They both sat near the juice counter discussing random girly things while few more ladies joined them. Just then, her cell beeped: 

Raman:

Bored?

 Ishita: 

Very much 

His message brought a smile on her face, she looked up from her mobile and all around the room to see where he was sitting. 

Raman:

Same here. Toh kitne compliment mile

Ishita:

Lost count

Raman:

Oh really?

Ishita:

All credits to you, ofc :)

Raman:

Actually the dress is good 

but because of the wearer,

it is looking prettier than usual ;)

A silent smile crept on Ishita's face as soon as she read that message, instead of replying to it, she kept rereading it again and again. each time grinning like an idiot. Neha caught ishita smiling and crept towards her and asked "Ishu, Tumare Aur Raman ke beech kya scene hai"

"nothing"

"Nothing? I saw you both murdering each other just by staring throughout the party" She exaggerates. Ishita's eyes widen, she slowly tries to hide her cell in her purse. Neha, who catches a whiff of this, quickly grabs her cell, "Messaging chal Raha hai kya" Ishita nodded.

Neha cleared her throat, winking. Ishita, who was practically clueless all her life, thought Neha had a cough or something. The fact that she was a "doctor" also didn't help. Concern shot up her, "Are you alright?"

"Who chose this dress?" Neha asked in a high pitched tone. Ishita, smiling lightly, pointed towards Raman. She started to make oh oo noises which made ishita embarrassed, so she shut Neha's mouth with her hand, blushing profusely. 

"Aha, Blushing. Come on, tell me you love him, right?"  Neha teased, "Itna bhi mat chupao"

"Main kuch nahi Chupa rahi hoon" ishita tried to state in a firm tone but her gaze gives it away as it lands on Raman softly and a spark forms in her eyes. Neha smacks on ishita's shoulders, "Chal jhooti" 

"Kuch bhi" Ishita frowned and tried to walk away. Neha caught her, nodding "Do one thing, Take some time and think about it. You know I'm right"

⋯⋯⋯

In another corner of the room, Raman was catching up with his classmates. He excused himself to freshen up his drink and came aside to escape from the numerous people. Sure, he loved those people but sometimes socialising was a bit too much.  He was out catching a breath when a voice called out "What's up bro?" 

It was Mihir. Raman groaned and just shrugged, leaning against the wall. Mihir casually states, "You know what, today, my best friend is hiding lots of things from me"

Raman glared at the short man and threw him a puzzled look. Mihir nudges him, "Come on, tell me," 

"You should leave," Raman says in a calm but indignant tone which makes Mihir shut up. He just blinks twice and mumbles a quick apology. After a few minutes, he again speaks looking at the middle of the room where Neha and ishita are mingling, "She's looking beautiful na?"

"Yeah. Red suits her a lot" Raman says nonchalantly not realising that Mihir was talking about Neha and not ishita. Mihir who also learnt this fact devises a quick plan in his mind and asks carefully, "Bhai, you love her. Don't you?"

"A lot" Raman replies, lost in the beauty of Ishita laughing and giggling with his classmates under the light of the chandelier. He was confounded as to how she was able to shine brighter than any of the lights in the room.  It was a flawless sight.

"Pakdi gayi chori. I knew it" Mihir shot his hands up in the air in victory.

"I... I was just telling that I'm hungry, a lot " Raman tried to covered up while averting his gaze away from Ishita. He scratched the back of his neck, his entire face flushed. A tinge of anger also surged in him that Mihir had tricked him, however, he kept on the facade that none of it was true. 

"No lies. Tell me, please. Maybe I can help you out" Mihir pleads, trying to meet eyes with his best friends to figure out what was going on in his mind. Raman snaps, "Kuch mat bol. Jaa juice leke aa" Mihir raises his hands in the air defensively, walking backwards to the bar. [Don't speak anything. Go, get me juice]

Raman took a deep breath and thought  Isn't it funny, that if I had made a different decision that day when she turned up at my door I wouldn't be here now? If I had put a different answer on that sheet, my fate would've been written in different ink. Because right now, I feel incomplete without you. I love Ishita. I really love you. I'll let her know tonight.

On the other side,

Ishita thought to herself Neha is right. I like him very much but does he like me? What if he considers me just as a friend? What if he rejects me? I'll do one thing, I'll tell him tonight. If I never tell him, I'll never know