09 | Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar

Ishita's face fell faster than a corpse in cement boots. In that instant her skin became white, her mouth hung with lips slightly parted and eyes as wide as they could stretch. She stood up perplexed.

It was Subbu.

The very person she was supposed to marry, to escape which she ran away from her home. He was standing in front of her, flesh and blood. 

The Brave Ishita, Raman's Jhansi ki Rani was scared. She never felt that before. Whenever in past, she made conversations with Subbu, she was always brave enough to tell him off, almost rudely. But today, she was terrified. She had already tried numerous ways to end this treacherous wedding but none had worked. So the only option she found best was to run away.

"Subbu" Ishita gasped under her breath as her throat began to close. She turned here and there to look for Raman but he was nowhere to be seen. Subbu's face formed a crooked smile. The kind of smile villains give before committing a crime. He said softly but arrogance dripped from his voice, "It is me. Come on, Ishita"

She shook her head persistently, her eyes still wide. Her mind was registering of the fact that he was here. he found her. When he proceeded to move towards her, she quickly regained her senses and moved to another side of the table "I don't want to go anywhere with you" stressing on the word you.

He just threw a pity smile on Ishita and moved towards her anyway. She flung her arms across her chest and walked backwards to shield herself from him. He who was now annoyed threatened, "Come with me willingly or else I'll pull you out from here"

He advanced his filthy his hands towards her only to be stopped by a shadowy figure. Ishita who had closed her eyes, praying desperately for a miracle, opened them to see why nothing had happened to her yet. Raman was there blocking him from her. Her Raman. She took a sigh of relief and hid behind Raman. 

"Don't worry, I'm here" Raman whispered to ishita in comforting tone and turned to look back at Subbu with disgrace "What's your problem? Leave her alone, she doesn't want to go with you" Subbu glared at Raman while he continued "Dekh kya Raha hai? Jaa mere Bhai" [Why are you staring? Go]

Subbu laughs maniacally as if we were in a circus leaving both Raman and ishita confused, "I'm going to marry you, ishita Iyer. I have to" Raman rolled his eyes, "why exactly do you have to?" 

"Your father agreed to give me that 2 acre land of his for marrying you. I'm doing you a big favour if you think of it" 

Ishita's heart dropped. She wasn't aware of any of this information. Raman looked at Ishita for answers but she was speechless. So Raman mocked, "Do Kodi ki aukat nahi hai tumhari, tum kya favour karoge. she's doing you a favour by even talking to you" [You're doing no one any favours, you don't even have the value of two paise.]

Subbu tosses his arm to fight Raman's insult but Raman is quick enough to catch it. Raman grabs Subbu's arm tightly and twists it, "Also, dowry is illegal. Pata hai na? Andar kara denge" [Don't you know dowry is illegal? we'll have you jailed]

Subbu scoffs,  "Who are you to stop me?"

Ishita, who had found new courage since Raman was there to protect her, moves forward and snaps "None of YOUR concern. Some relationships don't need labels" Raman nods his head, proceeds to hold Subbu by his collar "Just go. And don't ever think she's alone here, she has me and I'll always protect her."

Raman pushed Subbu off from their arena to look at ishita who had just collapsed on the bench heavily. In the past few minutes, she had almost gone through a copious amount of emotions; she was happy that Raman was there, shocked to learn about the dowry, afraid of Subbu, then relieved when he left. She could only take so much. She broke down and started to cry terribly.

Raman yelled, "Why the hell were you quiet? You should have told him directly"

Ishita sobs increased when Raman started to shout on her. He observed her tears, sighed and took a seat beside her. She slowly rested her head on his shoulder and said, "Aap mere saath te so..." [You were with me, So]

"Kya main hamesha tumhare saath hi rahunga" [Am I gonna be with you forever?]

"Toh phir kya aap mujhe chodd denge" she questioned [Will you leave me alone?]

He pulled her into a tight side-hug  "Main tumhe itni aasani se nahi chodunga meri madrasan afterall best friend hai tu" [I won't leave you so easily. You're my best friend] She smiled. The words meri madrasan wrecked a strange feeling in her heart. 

------------------

This whole incident was witnessed by Neha and Mihir. Mihir almost ran to help his friend but Neha stopped him as she knew Raman got it covered. She chuckles, "Ab in dono ki prem Kahani main likhungi" [Now, I'll write their love story]

"But..they are not in love with each other" Mihir mumbles. Neha buries her head in her hand and points him towards Raman who is now wiping ishita's tears and she smiling like there's no end of the world. Mihir bites his lip, "Both the idiots haven't realized it yet"

Neha and Mihir formed a quick plan and ran towards them. Neha cleared her throat to get their attention. Ishita and Raman quickly broke their endless eye contact to look at the duo. Raman stammers, "Wh..where were you guys?"

Mihir says chirpily "We are here now and that's all matters"

Neha interrupts before Raman could make one of his witty comments, "We just got invited -  to OUR SCHOOL REUNION" Raman groaned, "hate school and don't like parties. I'm out" 

Ishita is excited but, she shot her hands in the air "Party!! I wanna go. Raman, come on - please" After many pleads and when Raman's  answer was still no, ishita mumbles under her breath, "Aap Raman Kumar nahi Raavan Kumar ho"

Raman puts his hand on his hip, "Kya kaha tumne"

Ishita rolls her eyes "Buzzkill Raavan Kumar" He shook his head, smiling at her nickname when she again asked sweetly "Mere liye chaliye na" [please, come for me]

How could he ever say no to that? 

He just nodded. 

--------------

I feel really good about this chapter. like writing-wise. lemme know how you feel x