04 | Namkeen

Fifteen minutes later, they were sitting in Raman's car driving away. Ishita was ecstatic. Gazing straight ahead, only half-aware of a world outside the claustrophobic comfort of the car, of Raman's hands, stroking the wheel, the almost soundless changing of the gears, the pattern of traffic lights. Silence was deafening. Ishita couldn't take it anymore, she began "Mr.Bhalla, Ek baat puchu?" [Mr.bhalla can I ask you something?]

He just hummed in response, still eyes glued to the road. She always hated that response. What did hmm even mean? Why couldn't people - just be normal and reply yes or no. It's just one syllable. She rolled her eyes, "Yeh hmm ka kya Matlab hota hai. Say yes or no." [What does hmm mean. Say yes or no]

"Yes" he enunciates, looking at her. She asks, "Aapki family main kaon kaon hai?" [Who all are there in your family?]

"Main aur meri maa" [Me and my mom]

"Papa, Bhai-Behen?" [father, brother-sister] she asks, finding it hard to believe he didn't it. 

"No one. Papa passed away a few years back -" he said in a low tone.  A pang of guilt gushed into ishita, she didn't need to open any wounds. She chided herself mentally, whispering "I'm so sorry"

"That's fi...fine" he stuttered, finding it hards to get words out of his mouth. Thye stayed silent for the rest of the ride. He stopped the car with a jerk, motioned her to get down, "Go in and ask for Dr.Batra. Tell him I have sent you"

After about an hour, Ishita came running out of the clinic "I got the job!" She flung herself into the car, beaming with joy. her happiness radiated to him too. He smiled, "Congrats, I'm glad you're really a dentist"

"Shut up!" he hit his arm playfully, "Where are we going now?" 

"Mall?" he asked, she smiled and gave him her approval. 

_______

"What will we do here?" Ishita asked as they entered the huge mall. She looked around to see tons of shops and people swarming across. Of course, This was Delhi, it would be crowded. It made her giddy. 

"I thought you ladies liked shopping" he said cheekily. She gave him an impressed look and before she could begin to protest, he cuts her "Don't you wanna shop? That would make me conclude you aren't a lady" 

"Mujhe shopping bahot pasand hai par paise" [I love shopping very much but money] she snaps

"Main hoon na" [I'm there know] he says, while lifting his arms in SRK style. She is embarrassed by his actions, she immediately puts his hands down while trying to cover the tinge that has spread to her cheeks. 

She really wasn't comfortable with the idea of someone paying for her stuff. But she didn't have much money, just some for emergencies which she couldn't afford to cash out. After numerous attempts of fighting about whether to take his money or not, they came upon an agreement that she would return back the money when she's earning from her dentist job. 

They shopped abundantly, it made Ishita's heart bubble with joy. She was exhausted from all the running over from one shop to another. She mumbles, "I'm hungry"  He led her to the food court in the mall, they occupied a seat and ordered some food. 

"Shall I ask you something, Miss Iyer" he speaks out of the blue which brings ishita to the earth from the void she was distracted in. 

"Why are you calling me Miss Iyer. Call me Ishita" she says gleefully, while looking around the kitchen if their order was made yet. 

"Only if you call me Raman", he says. 

"Deal." she agrees. He nods and asks, "How are things at your home?" 

"Still rough. Subbu is visiting Amma every day. Decorations intact. My life sucks" she groans. He shook his head. He wanted to speak so much but he was speechless. Food was served to their table, she dug in excitedly. 

His focus was scattered filled with nervous anticipation. He couldn't hold a conversation or sit still while his thoughts danced in infinite directions. Yet he had to get through the dinner in one piece. Ishita was a mess too, she curled her fingers into the palm of her hand, not even feeling them dig in. If she didn't fancy this guy a little she'd be funny and flirtatious or at least loquacious, since she did her mouth was full of sawdust and her brain was malfunctioning as much as if she were drunk. 

Raman filled every pause and breath with more chatter. If Ishita so much as paused to take a bite he'd start rambling off in a new direction entirely. He laughed before punchlines and for things that just weren't that funny. While they are having dinner, a man approached Raman "Mr Bhalla you here?"

"Yeah. Just a bit of shopping" Raman shakes hand with the gentleman in the suit, smiling widely. 

"Oh. She is?" the man asks, looking at ishita. "My friend Ishita and Ishita, he is the owner of this mall" Raman makes acquaintances. 

"Oh, nice to meet you" ishita offered her hand. he shakes it, "Same here. Raman, Please be free to ask me anything you want here."

"Sure"

"How do you know him?" Ishita asks. She was very interested as to how Raman knew the owner of such a big mall. he just shrugs, "Family friend" 

After their dinner, they get into the lift. Raman pressed the ground floor button and leaned against the back of the lift waiting for it to descent. When, suddenly, the lift stops with a twitch. Looking down the elevator shaft Ishita almost lost her nerve. There were metal walls on every side, cables and a counterweight. Then there was the lift itself, a black box moving up and down at the mercy of the buttons. One slip and she'd be nothing but a bad smell they'd locate next week after her rotting corpse made the shaft decay. 

She shuddered at the thought, "Ayyo murugan...yeh kya ho Gaya" [What happened?]

To top her cherry on the cake, the power goes almost immediately leaving Ishita a shivering and shaking mess.