Twenty

Wrath

I never want to smell that scent my daughter gave off again. I never want to know that I am the cause for it. If it was anyone else, I would have killed them, or at least made them wish I had killed them. But I cant do that this time. I am part of the reason that she had that smell all over her body. I am part of the reason why she is taking care of Aghony right now.

I would give anything to go back in time and just take him off rotation. I would give anything to go back in time and give him a stern talking to. I would change everything, if only I could go back.

Right now my daughter hates me. She thinks I stood by and let Vishous and Quinn hurt Aghony, and in a way I did. In a way I am the one who demanded that Rythe. I am the one who told him to offer it. I am the one who demanded that punishment. I did all that. For that, I will never forget the look on her face when she realized what had happened. What was done to Aghony. What I had done. That I hadn't stopped it from happening. I will never be able to erase that from my mind. I will never be able to erase the smell of her disgust and hatred for me in that moment.

I just wish I knew how to fix it. I wish I knew how to take it all back. I would give her anything to erase that feeling of hatred toward me. But I don't think that will work. I don't think that will be enough. That's the part that kills me. That is the part that makes me hurt for my daughter. Because I cant make it better. Because I cant take it back. Because she hates me and I deserve it. Because deep down, I knew I was going to fuck up with her. Because I wasn't there. Because I don't know how to deal with my daughter.

Hell, I have only had one decent conversation with her. I don't know her. I don't know anything about her. Other than she feels strongly for Aghony and loves Beth. Other than those things and what she has told me, I know nothing.

"My hellren, what's bothering you?" I hear Beths ask before I feel her place herself in my lap.

I sigh, how do I tell Beth that I may have ruined my relationship with Lyric before it even began.

"I did something terrible." I tell her.

"What did you do?" She asks.

I can smell her uncertainty. I can smell the slight tinge of fear she is feeling. She must be thinking its something unforgiveable. Well maybe it is, but not toward her.

"I ordered Aghony to offer Rythe to V and Quinn." I tell her.

"Is that the meeting you wanted me to get Aghony for?"

"Yes. While he took the punishment in stride, I promised not to let Lyric see him. But before we could get him upstairs she saw. She saw him and demanded to know what happened. She knows I allowed it to happen. She knows that I stood there and didn't stop it." I sigh. "She hates me. She fucking hates me."

I feel her wrap her arms around my neck and kiss my cheek. Its what she does to help me stay calm. For that I am grateful. But right now, its not like I can calm down. The one relationship I could have had is now ruined.

"I am sure she felt that way in the moment. But maybe if you explain the reason."

"I did, she thought that was how we punish our children here. She thought that I would do that to her."

"What is it that Aghony did that warrented a Rythe?"

"Well. V told him not to go to a suspected recruitment center for the Lessers. He wanted to go and see if they could find evidence that would tell that it was the one. After V told him no, he did it anyways. Was gone an hour without word to V and Quinn."

"First, did he get the evidence?"

"Yes, it is the recruitment center that we have been looking for, for months. The one V was having a hard time finding evidence of."

"Alright, well second, why would you punish him for that? I mean, you have done stupid things. The Brothers have done stupid things. Butch did stupid things and never had to offer a Rythe. The Brothers would have done the same if it were them in that situation. You know that."

I sigh, of course she is right.

"I punished him because Vishous and Quinn were angry. They both were mad. He left them with no contact for an hour. in that hour, he could have died, been taken, or hurt and we would never have known."

"That doesn't mean you punish him. Vishous couldn't find the information you needed so Aghony did it in a way that was sure to work. I think that if you found a way to apologize to Aghony, or do something for him. Maybe get V and Quinn to apologize too. Maybe she will forgive you."

"What do you suggest I do?"

"Take him this ring. Tell him you want him to have it for when he asks Lyric to mate him. Tell him you approve of their mating and want to see the two of them happy. Then go to her and apologize. Admit that you were wrong and over reacted in that situation and ask what you can do to make amends. then do as she asks." Beth says. "It is a start and that is what counts."

I look down to the ring. Without being able to see it, I know what this ring is. Who this ring belongs to. It was my mothers. It was the ring I should have given Beth. The ring that should have been given to her. But now I have the chance to pass it on to my daughter. I have a chance to make this right on both ends. I can do this.

I send a text to Quinn and V and tell them to come to my office right away. I need to set this in motion before I lose my daughter.