Promise Land

"This is a terrible idea." I stated in annoyance as Stefan and I pulled groceries out of Elena's trunk.

"Well, what did you want me to say?—'No, Damon, it will be awkward to have the two of us and our ex-girlfriends confined to Caroline's dad's cabin, because I killed your best friend and Mariana's keeping it a secret for me'?" Stefan countered sarcastically, taking bags out of the trunk while I sighed deeply.

"We should have told him." I stated guilty, grabbing the last bag that was filled with booze.

"Look, I don't trust that he'd be able to hold it together." Stefan replied, leaning against the trunk and I rolled my eyes.

"Because his best friend is dead or because you killed him?" I countered, tilting my head back at him.

"Either, both—I don't know, either way—" Stefan started before he got cut off as Caroline walked out of the cabin in front of us.

"Good news! So we don't have to be invited in. Which is actually super sad if you think about it." Caroline stated quickly coming towards us. I looked at Stefan before back at Care as the two of us became silent, making her raise an eyebrow at us. "Am I interrupting something?" She asked in confusion and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No, were just uh—" I started, looking down at the bags we grabbed before Stefan cut me off.

"Unpacking. We're just unpacking—Here you go." Stefan answered, handing two bags to Caroline who furrowed her eyebrows at us and chuckled.

"Okay." Caroline replied with a nod before walking back towards the cabin and I sighed in relief.

"So. Where's Damon now?" I asked raising my eyebrow and grabbing my bag from the ground.

"Helping Luke set up." Stefan answered in and I rolled my eyes and grabbed my suitcase from the back.

"Helping Luke or avoiding me?" I replied, raising my eyebrow at Stefan who sighed back at me.

"You really don't think he wants to be around you?" Stefan asked, tilting his head at me and I scoffed.

"Well, technically, he said, 'I don't want to hear your voice, and I don't want to see your face.' because it's just too 'hard' for him." I corrected in sarcasm before I put my bag over my shoulder.

"Who do you think brought you home last night?" Stefan countered with a sigh and I looked at him in confusion.

"Really?" I asked in doubt and Stefan nodded back at me.

"Oh, yeah. Tucked you in safely." Stefan replied in amusement, giving me a small smirk and I looked away from him.

"Well, that was an extreme circumstance. Enzo almost killed me." I pointed out in annoyance and Stefan shrugged back.

"Probably read you a nice, little bed time story." Stefan countered jokingly and I laughed, hitting him playfully with my bag.

"Stop it. You're the least helpful person I know." I replied in amusement as I shook my head at him.

"For a couple of locked-in from society people, you two seem to be taking this in with stride." Caroline joked as she observed us from the porch and I rose my eyebrow at her as Stefan grabbed a box from the trunk.

"Oh, well, you know. A Tribe of ancient wannabe witches wanna drain Elena and I of our blood and eliminate supernatural beings?" Stefan asked, walking behind me carrying the cart of wine. "I've had worse." He added sarcastically as we walked into the cabin.
~~~

I grabbed some clothes from my suitcase and put them into the drawers of the dresser in my room. I turned back to my suitcase that was on the bed and saw a figure out of the corner of my eyes, only to see Damon leaning against the doorway as he watched me in silence. "Cozy." He stated in a soft voice, looking around the room and I slowly nodded.