Chapter 11

Nevaeh's POV:

"The first?"

"Yes."

"So, why do they have you down here?"

"Because my mom worked with them."

"But why? The Phragon's, the ones I met, hate these people. Like... they HATE these people."

"Of course they do, they betrayed the humans. All the humans have done is take care of me."

I shook my head at him,

"Dude, they literally have collars on their wrists."

"They are on them to protect them. The humans gave me one to control my powers."

"Control your powers...? O-Oh yeah, you paintbrushes have powers. Look, I don't think these people are trustworthy. You're literally in a cage... next to me. Like, this should be evident enough."

"And how the hell would you know?"

"I'm partially fucking blind! That guy's men threw baking soda in my eyes with boiling hot water. You think I'll trust someone like that?"

"You were a threat, they didn't know you either."

"Wow, you're a dickheaded paintbrush... aren't you? There's literally people in those woods who are injured! Have you ever been down there?"

"Have I been down there?"

Alex said standing up, spreading his arms. His figure was vague and just as big as the others.

"Yeah, have you seen what they look like? Hiding? Why would they be hiding if they betrayed these people? What if these people betrayed them?"

"You don't know a thing. They were planning an attack on us,"

"But how do you know? You're in a cage! Rotting your life away with me."

"Maybe because I'm the one who attacked them in the first place."

I step back, thinking back to what Mel had said to me in the forest, before I stormed off,

"S-So, you're the one! You're the one?! You attacked your own kind? How could you turn your back on—"

"Turn my back?! They killed my mother! They murdered her when she said she was going to help the humans and left her in the woods to die! She was giving birth to me while laying on her deathbed and the humans found me and took me into care. I have to be locked away so other facilities don't take me."

"Really? How do you know that that's what REALLY happened if your mom died giving birth to you?"

"Because the humans have cared for me since then, I trust them."

I shook my head,

"You must be delusional. Did you hear what he said about my friend?"

"Fine, since you want to sit here and keep denying me then I'll show you."

I chuckled,

"What? You gonna take me to wonderland Mr. Paintbrush? Pft, I'm over it."

Out of nowhere, Alex called for a guard and I panicked looking at his figure get close to the cells,

What the fuck are you doing?

"Sir Alex, what would you like?"

"Can I go on a walk through the facility, I'm feeling really cramped. I'd also like to bring this human with me."

The guard stared at Alex and simply nodded, letting him out and taking off his collar. I couldn't necessarily make out the movements, but the noise of something clashing on the ground sounded like the collar.

Alex smiled at the guard as the guard walked away from him and Alex opened my cage and got close to me as I panicked.

"W-What are you doing?"

Alex used his index fingers and swiped them across each eye. It felt like a small tingle, a shock, that hit me in the eyes, but it was warm and I could feel his energy through his touch.

"Can you see now?"

Rapidly blinking my eyes, I nod my head,

"Great. Come on."

He grabbed my head, walking me down the hallways. They were clear and empty, and seemed like an important meeting was going on since there was the sound of people fighting.

As we walked, I noticed a glass window. Is this the—

"Deja? D-Deja?"

Tears fell down my face,

"D-Deja... A-Alex, please that's my friend."

Alex grabbed my head and turned me around,

"Shh... We can't be loud.."

I cried while punching him in the stomach as he gripped my head. My words were muffled by his thick brown dress. I kicked and punched and he wouldn't let go.

"I'm sorry.. but she's... she's dead."

"NO!"

I kicked him off and ran into the room where Deja was strapped down,

"Deja? Can you hear me?"

I said while caressing her head. Covered in tears and snot, I kissed her forehead.

"Y-You're cold. We have to get a blanket."

I ran off into the back, where there seemed to be another door. Surprisingly, the room was empty and oddly suspicious, but my sadness overcame those feelings. Pushing the door open, there were rows of bodies. All kinds in tubes of yellow fluid, floating.

My tears came to an abrupt stop,

"What is this?"

I walked towards a tube, one that was all the way in the back as it looked as it stood most important. Reading the name, I gasp looking at Alex who approached me, pointing to the holographic screen description.

Alex raising his head, stepping closer to the glass,

"Mom?"