IV - 7

A few days later I have an appointment with one of my professors from the university and take this as an opportunity to make a little time for me. Andrew wanted to come with me but I told him he should just enjoy being alone in the apartment.

Mick is working out in the gym. Probably to release some stress because he still hasn't got back to his parents.

I can understand. I try to distract myself as best as possible, too. Thomas still hasn't contacted me yet and if I have too much time to think my thought just get darker and darker.

It happened yesterday when I spaced out over a movie. An hour into the movie my only thought was how I will live on without Thomas because he won't come back to me. I was convinced I ruined everything. Thank god, Andrew and Mick noticed. Unwittingly I had crawled into Mick's side, making myself as small as possible.

It was an awful feeling and I don't want to feel like that ever again. Wishful thinking. But another reason why I am actually happy to have an appointment. Something to keep my mind off of the dark shadow in the back of my mind.

Prof Wyle is a young professor. He is maybe in his late-twenties. If I am not mistaken this semester is the first he teaches. That's probably why he requested I come in to discuss my grade on the exam. All the other professors wouldn't bother. At least that's what I heard.

The conversation we have isn't interesting and I am not really surprised that my grade is so low. 'Experimental Psychology 1' was the exam I wrote the day after Thomas' and my night at the Winsecor. I was tired, couldn't concentrate and in the end, I had an idea that I had to discuss with one of my parents so I didn't even check my answers before submitting my test sheet. I am surprised I even passed the exam, to be honest.

We go through all the questions, like a second exam and prof Wyle is obviously satisfied with my performance.

"I don't understand why you did so poorly on the exam when now, weeks after, you know almost everything", he shakes his head.

"I just had a really bad day. I am just glad that I don't have to take the class again", I say.

"Why was the class this bad?", he sounds offended but has a smile on his face.

"No, I actually enjoyed it a lot but I want to advance to 'Experimental Psychology 2'." I know I lay it on pretty thick.

"Then I will be your professor in the next semester, too. But promise me if you have a bad day again when you are supposed to write an exam, please consider writing it on the second appointed date. This grade doesn't look good on your transcript."

I nod. He musters me for a second. In this slightly awkward moment, I let my eyes wander and they fall onto a book on the shelf behind him. Then he stands up and extances his hand for me to shake. I take it but say in the same motion:

"You do research on attraction?"

I can see he is a little surprised. Almost in slow motion, he follows my eyes and lets out a sound of understanding when he sees the book as well.

"Not anymore. I worked with one of my, now, colleagues on a project. He actually gifted me with that book. Are in interested in this field?", he turns back to me.

"I find it very interesting. That is actually why I study psychology. I am interested in sex and friendships and ... basically human interaction."

"Then I hope you elect a few of my classes on social psychology in your later semesters", he seems genuinely happy that I am so interested. He stands up and got the book from the shelf. "Then maybe it would benefit you to this." He hands the book over to me.