Friday, November 2nd, 2007

Jay decided to do exactly what I’d suspected he would do. He had been cagey when I’d asked him several times before. That time though, he finally told me, “I’m not going to college next year.”

“Jay, that’s—”

“I don’t have the money. I’ll try in two years or three.” He took a deep breath before looking at me and I remember that day when he came to me to talk about you with defeated eyes. There was nothing like that anymore in him. In fact, there was fire blazing in him and I couldn’t stop the pride that surged inside me. We never did talk about what was going on in his place, but after this, maybe. “I’ve been saving.”

My words caught in my throat. “Yeah? Good. That’s good.”

“Of course, I want to go. I told you I’m leaving this cursed place.” Jay laughed a little then bumped my shoulder. “You’re such a softie.”

I sniffed. “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“It is.”

“And I want your mobile number and email address registered on my phone.”

He grinned. It was all sharp teeth and mirth. It sort of reminded me of you. “Well, well, look who’s finally embracing the modern technology.”

I scoffed. “Yeah. Just know that if there’s anything or anyone needing my help, you know you have my contacts. I’ve been working on this project so my team could oversee the process of placing kids in better foster homes and help them get proper education. Just everything they need in order to get out of their abusive household. I’m not sure how long it will take, but I’m working on it.”

“Maybe.” He sighed. “I really appreciate it, Roo, but I….”

“I know. Just. You have me, okay?”

Jay smiled. He knew.

We talked until the school bell rang.