Rukia's Assignment

The wind was calm and relaxing. Rukia had been training in the nearby woods, in the soul society with her childhood friend, Renji Abarai. They were taking a rest in an opening. The trees whispered between themselves, and the hustle and bustle of the Rukongai west district could be seen from the hill. Rukia was silent and blocked out every sound around her. She was thinking of him again. She couldn’t stop thinking about how close they were together, and the adventures they had with each other.

“Uuhhh…Rukia?” Renji sat up from the grass and waved a hand in front of Rukia’s face to grab her attention. She perked up from her thoughts and turned to face Renji and his odd expression. “You alright, Kuchiki?” He asked bewilderedly.

Rukia gave him a covered smile. “I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be fine? It’s not like I miss someone, or anything!” She let out a giggle and sighed.

Renji looked at her and frowned. “You miss him, don’t you?” He shuffled beside her and placed a friendly hand on her shoulders, when he knew she didn’t feel like talking about it. “Come on, Rukia! Let’s train some more! It’ll stop you from thinking about him.” He stood up and held his zanpakuto.

Rukia gave out another long sigh and grasped her zanpakuto, which was lying beside her. “I guess you’re right…” She looked to the floor, and snapped herself out of it. She held her zanpakuto and her head high. “Alright, Abarai! Let’s see what you got!”

Renji grimaced and ran towards Rukia. They clashed swords and leaped back. Both smirked and completely forgot about him. Eventually, they became tired, and turned in for the day.

Rukia arrived at the Kuchiki house, to find her brother, Byakuya, waiting for her. “Brother? What are you doing here?” She looked at him quizzically.

He made his way passed her. “Ukitake requested to see you. He is in his office…” He continued walking, without giving her a second glance.

Rukia watched her brother go. “Captain Ukitake? What does he want me for?” She headed to his office and began to think of him again…

“I wonder how he and the others are doing there…” She began to drift into deep thought.

She arrived at Ukitake’s office, to find Sentaro and Kiyone waiting outside for her.

“Captain Ukitake, SIR! Rukia Kuchiki has arrived, SIR!” They both said in unison. They fought amongst each other to see who would open the door. They ended up opening a side each.

She stepped inside and knelt in respect. “You wanted to see me, captain Ukitake?” She looked up slightly, to see Ukitake at his desk, sipping some tea.

“Ah, Rukia Kuchiki! I have a little request.” He placed his tea on the desk and stood up. He walked to the window and continued. “I understand that you have been buried in paper work…And I thought you would like a break from it.” He turned to see Rukia wide-eyed. “So I would like you to teach at the Shinigami academy…” He let out a smile and walked back to his seat. He coughed, then took a sip of his tea.

Rukia was startled. “Yes, Captain Ukitake! But…What would I teach?” She looked at him confused.

He let out a chuckle. “About humans, of course!” Rukia’s eyes couldn’t get any wider. “You are the most experienced with humans, so I thought it might be a good thing to teach at the academy.” He smiled and walked towards Rukia.

She had stood up and bowed. “Thank you, Captain Ukitake! I shall report this to Captain Kuchiki immediately!” She took her leave and left a very cheerful captain behind.

Rukia was running back to the Kuchiki house. Working at the academy? That’s almost better than being a Lieutenant! Wait till Renji finds out about this! I get to teach people about the human way of living…She stopped in her thoughts. “…” She grew silent. There’s a problem…I’ll be thinking about him… She shook the thoughts out of her head and continued to Byakuya.

When she arrived, she slowed down her pace and walked casually to Byakuya’s room. She knocked on the screen door. “Brother, I have some news…” She paused and waited for a response.

“What is it?” Byakuya asked. Rukia slid the door open and knelt down.

“Captain Ukitake has assigned me the position to teach at the Shinigami academy.” She tried to sound serious. She was so giddy about it.

She saw Byakuya stand up and turned to face her. “And what will you be teaching?”

Rukia had to pause for a minute to calm herself down. “I am to teach them about humans, and their way of life…”

Byakuya turned his back to Rukia. “I see… You are dismissed.”

“Thank you, brother!” Rukia bowed her head and shut the door behind her. She jumped up in excitement. “Yes!” She was so excited, she ran to the forest, to let out some of the excitement.

“Rukia? What are you doing here?” A voice spoke, eagerly. The spiky, black-haired man came from behind the oak tree. “Aren’t you supposed to be doing some paper work?” It was Shuhei…

“Nope! I’ve been reassigned!” Rukia placed her hands on her hips and grinned.

Shuhei rubbed his neck. “Oh?” He looked at Rukia full of confidence.

“I’m going to be teaching at the Shinigami academy, from now on!” She jumped up with glee.

Shuhei let out a playful laugh and folded his arms. “Yeah, I heard about that! Way to go, Kuchiki!” He gave her a ‘thumbs up’ then walked away. “I’ve got some stuff to do…See ya later, Rukia!” He waved back at her.

That was weird…It seemed that either he was busy, or he was hiding something from me…Rukia began thinking. She had all these different thoughts in her head, she began to feel dizzy…