Chapter 1

Before you read this and go commenting "this was fast," I am aware. I wrote this when I was younger, so just drop it. If you don't like the story, don't bother. Just leave it be.

Noah's POV

I walked downstairs. It's still dark outside because my school starts early. I peek around the corner. Mom and my step-dad David were making out. I look on the couch and my older brother Terri is passed out. I tip-toed and opened the front door.
"And just where the hell d'you think you're going little Pussy?" it was David. I squint, hoping he wasn't talking to me. I show him my backpack, but he walks towards me with an empty beer bottle in his hand. He swings it at my head and it cracks. I lift my hand slowly to feel my head and it's bleeding. My eyes tear up.
"Still not talkin'?" He chuckles sinisterly, but his smile fades to a grimace.
"Disgusting bitch.." He mumbled before punching me square in the face.
I whimper, falling back to the door. I look up and he kicks me in the jaw.
"Don't expect food when you get back," he snarls. He grabs my hair and pulls me up. I open the door fully, but I'm pushed out of the room.
I'm just glad I'm here and not with my real Dad...
I walk outside and wipe my tears away, trying to act as if nothing happened.

Kai's POV

"Kai!"
"Kai!!"
"Kai Jackson, if you don't get your ass down here in the next five minutes, I'm busting your head open!"
I sigh. That's my sister, Jenna. She's naturally rude like that, but she can be nice at times.
I jump out of bed and slip some pants on. I search for a shirt and jacket, but she's now in my room with a rolled up newspaper.
She glares at me. She walks towards me, holding up the newspaper.
"Alright, chill, Jesus! I'm getting ready!" I yell.
She hits me in the back of the head with it and walks out. God, that girl gives me a headache.
I walk downstairs wearing my clothes and grab a plate of food off the table.
"Morning sweetie," Mom smiles at me. She tugs at my hair softly, trying to fix it.
"Did you even try to comb your hair today?" She laughs slightly, pulling a small comb from her pocket.
I flinch as she nearly pokes my eye out.
"Sorry."
"It's alright. I'll comb it on the way to school. Don't wanna be late."
She smiles at me and I knew it was one of those "my baby has grown up" type of looks.
While driving, I see a little boy wearing black skinny jeans, black Vans, and an oversized black hoodie. I've seen him around school before. I smile and pull over.
"Need a ride?" I call to him.
He paused for a moment, then shook his head.
"You sure?" I unlock the car door and lean over, opening it for him.
He was hesitant at first, but he crawled in.
As I start driving, I realized he's the mute kid. What was his name, Noah? He's pretty cute. Wait-did I just say that!? Shit.
"So umm. You're Noah, right?"
He nods his head.
"I'm Kai. You wanna be friends?"
He glances at me, then back at his shoes. He shrugs his shoulders.
I smile. I notice he's writing something on a notebook. He hands me a small little note.
***-***-**** Noah (: (changed the number, you pickle heads)
I smile at the cute little smiley-face at the end, then I set the note in a pocket in my backpack.
As I pull up to the school, Sabrina's running up to my car.
"Baby!" She squeals, tugging at my locked door handle. She must not remember we broke up three weeks ago.
I notice from the corner of my eyes, Noah's doodling in his notebook.
Sabrina knocks on the window.
I roll the window down. "Sabrina, shut up. I broke up with you like three weeks ago."
She gasps. "So you break up with me yo get together with the faggot?" She scoffs at me.
"Thought you were better than this."
"Alright, firstly Sabrina, we aren't together. I'm just dropping him off at school. Leave me alone. You're annoying enough as it is, just shut up."
She rolls her eyes and walks away like a total slut.
To be honest, I never really liked her. My Dad just wants me to be straight, and I need a girlfriend to prove it. It just won't work out. Girls are way too complicated for me.
I get out the car and walk to class with Noah. He writes on his notebook. Thank you.
I smile at him, and he smiles back, but it was just a small smile.
I have all classes with him except one; 2nd period, but it's good to have a new friend.
After I finish my lunch, I look for Noah. I notice a small shadowed figure under a tree all hunched over. I walk towards it and I realized it's Noah.
"Hey," I say with a smile, but it fades into a frown after I see his face soaked with tears.
"Hey, you alright Noah?" He whimpers, shaking his head slowly.
I help him up. He sets his head on my chest and suddenly, I want to kiss him, but I know I can't. Then, my secret would spill out. I slowly wrap an arm around him.
"What happened?"
He turns over and looks at the boys at the basketball court. He lifts his shaking arms up and points to them.
I look over at them and sigh.
They're ultimate jerks. Dick-wads. Idiots. I didn't ever want to say it because I've got a pretty nice reputation and I'd like to keep it that way, but this is just cruel. They can't pick on a helpless little mute kid like that. I walk over to them.