Norbert

The Christmas holidays were over, and it was back to our schoolwork. The four of us were in the library studying. I was sat on the table whereas Harry and Ron were sat on the bench. The slam of a book onto the table quickly interrupted what I was reading. I looked up to see a large old book, its edges frayed the pages golden. "I had you looking in the wrong section! How could I be so stupid? I checked this out a few weeks ago for a bit of light reading." Hermione said as she sat down on the bench across from the boys.

"This it light?" Ron asked looking at the size of the book, Hermione just glared before opening up the book and finding a page. "Of course! Here it is! "Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone!" she said reading the text with her finger. "The what?" Harry and Ron asked in unison. "Honestly, don't you two read? "The Philosopher's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It will turn any metal into pure gold and produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal." Hermione carried on.

"Immortal?" Ron said confused. "It means you'll never die." Hermione told him looking up from the paper. "I know what it means!" Ron shouted at her before I slapped him up the head. "Shut you trap." I told him before looking back at Hermione. ""The only stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday!" That's what Fluffy's guarding on the 3rd floor. That's what's under the trapdoor...the Philosopher's Stone!" Hermione said, we all just looked at each other with unreadable expressions.

For some reason the trio thought it was a good idea to sneak out to go speak to Hagrid. Of course, I tagged along but since there was no room under the cloak I just dressed in all black, my large hood covering me head blending me into the shadows. We got to the door and Harry reached his fist out to knock. Hagrid opened the door in oven gloves and an apron. "Have we come at a bad time." I said looking up at the giant with a confused face as the other three took off the cloak.

"Oh, hello. Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today." Hagrid said about to close the door but the other three stopped him. "We know about the Philosopher's Stone!" They shouted at him causing him to open the door again. "Oh." Hagrid said before moving out of the way letting us all in. We all sat down on the large armchairs.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it." Harry started but they quickly cut him off. "They think Snape it trying to steal it." I said as Fang ran up to me. "Snape? Blimey, Harry, you're not still on about him, are you?" Hagrid said rubbing his temples. "Hagrid, we know he's after the Stone. We just don't know why." Harry tried to reason with Hagrid as I started to pet Fang.

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the Stone! He's not about to steal it!" Hagrid shouted at us. "What?" Harry asked confused. "You heard. Right. Come on, now, I'm a bit preoccupied today." He said standing up his eyes focused on the fire in the corner. "Wait a minute. One of the teachers?" Harry questioned gazing up at the half giant. "Of course! There are other things defending the Stone, aren't there? Spells, enchantments." Hermione said in realisation.

"That's right. Waste of bloody time, if you ask me." Hagrid grumbled, "Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Hehe, not a soul knows how. Except for me and Dumbledore. I shouldn't have told you that. I shouldn't have told you that." Hagrid said wrinkles appearing on he forehead. That was when the cauldron over the fire started to rattle. "Oh!" Hagrid gasped rushing over and taking a black round shaped object out of the caldron. "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" He winced before putting the thing on the table in front of us.

"Hagrid what is that?" I asked him leaning closer to get a better look. "That? It's a ... its um..." He started stuttering as much as Quirrell. "I know what that is! But Hagrid, how did you get one?" Ron said looking up at Hagrid in surprise. "I won it. Off a stranger I met down at a pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid of it, as a matter of fact." He said putting his hand to his chin in thought.

"Hello, I still don't know what that thing is." I said to them before the object started to rattle and crack. It was some sort of egg. Pieces of shell started to move before a wing popped out, then a head, and then a claw. "Is that...a dragon?" Hermione asked. As the creature slipped out of the egg. "That's not just a dragon. That's a Norwegian Ridgeback! My brother Charlie works with these in Romania." Ron told us as we all looked at the dragon in wonder.

"Isn't he beautiful? Oh. Bless him, look. He knows his mummy. Hehe. Hallo, Norbert." Hagrid said in awe as the dragon squeaked up at him. "Norbert?" Harry asked. "Yeah, well, he's got to have a name, doesn't he?" Hagrid said making Ron laugh. "Yeah shut up Harry." I told him he sent me a playful glare. "Don't you, Norbert?" Hagrid said putting his sausage sized fingers under the baby dragons chin.

Norbert then hiccupped causing a fireball to go flying at Hagrid's large beard. "Ohh! Ooohh, ooh, ooh, well...he'll have to be trained up a bit, of course." Hagrid said as he patted down the fire which only slightly singed the mess of hair. Hagrid, they looked to the side, a confused look covering his face. "Who's that?" He said causing us all to look to the side only to see a wisp of bleach blond hair scamper away. "Malfoy." Harry said in detest. "Oh dear." Hagrid said knowing we were going to get snitched on. "I'm gonna kill him." I growled before we all scampered towards the door not wanting to get caught.

................................................................................................................................................................

I'm bored

-M