Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five:

"What are we doing, exactly?" Theodora questioned as they stood near a used car shop, he held up the photo of him and his father in the woods in the air. "Why did you bring that?"

"I'm trying to find that car." He flicked the picture, "I think it may hold clues to my father's wrong doings."

Theodora pursed her lips, "By wrong doings do you mean murder?"

Footsteps crunched the wet gravel as an older man approached, he gripped an umbrella and offered a warm smile. "She's a beaut, isn't she? Looking for the car every kid remembers being in from their childhood?"

"That's the plan." Malcolm waltzed over towards him.

"It's perfect for family vacations, road trips or the big kill."

Malcolm raised a brow at the man as he went to open the trunk, the man chuckled, "Deer hunting."

"I'm not sure." Malcolm shrugged swinging the door back, "This was more of my Dad's thing."

He leaned in, feeling the surface. Theodora watched curiously as he shook his head and returned to her side.

"Not the car of your dreams?" The man sighed.

"No. It's not the right one."

"You're after one car in particular? Well, that's not gonna be easy."

Theodora snorted, staring at Malcolm. "No, it's not."

He pulled out his phone and opened a search site, scrolling down photos of old cars for sale.

"I'm looking for one with an anchor bracket in the back. Strong enough to chain somebody too."

The man's eyes widened, staring at Malcolm.

"Don't worry, I'm a cop." He reassured him, "Kind of."

Theodora rolled her eyes, "I am, at least."

Malcolm took off, she rushed behind to catch up. He parked across the street and practically threw himself into the drivers seat. Theodora scrambled to the other side and flopped in, shutting the door to avoid anymore rain leaking in.

"Why that photo? What made you remember—"

"I don't know." He gripped the steering wheel, "That's why I need to find that car."

Theodora pursed her lips, "So, then we'll find it. Whatever it takes."

He flashed her a small smile, "I need to go talk to Gabrielle. It won't be long, I promise."

"Lead the way. You're driving, after all." She leaned back, watching as the rain raced down her window. There were no winners.

•••

When Malcolm usually made appointments with his therapist, or just dropped in, he would be there for hours. So, when saying that it wouldn't be long she knew that wasn't true, but when he went, it meant he was talking about his childhood which was good. He needed to get things off his chest, and if this worked than she was all for it.

What she wasn't expecting was a shaky Malcolm falling back into his seat as the car door slammed shut an hour and a half later. He turned the car on and muted the radio, staring straight ahead with narrow eyes. She glanced at the clock, frowning.

"You were only in there for an hour and a half?"

"She said I'm going to go crazy."

"What—"

"I'm going to end up psychotic. Lose my mind." He cut her off, "Stuck and frozen in the mind state of my scared younger self."

Theodora processed his words, watching his shaking hands rest on the wheel. She grabbed one and held it tightly, "That's not going to happen. We won't let it, okay?"

He glanced at her, his eyes ridiculously blue. "I'm half way there."

"Well." She mumbled locking eyes with him, "Then so am I. We can lose our minds together."

Malcolm gave a soft smile, "I think that'd be okay."

They drove off, the soft sound of rain pinging off of the windshield filled the air. The radio remained off, and Theodora found herself tapping the dashboard to an imaginary beat. They remained in silence until they reached the downtown area and the rain finally subsided.

"Gil texted me." Malcolm said, "There's been a murder in the woods."

"Sounds ominous."

He glanced at her, "That's were we're heading now. I mean, if you're up to it."

"Why wouldn't I be up to it?"

Malcolm shrugged, "Last time you were at any woods it was because a body was uncovered. I'm not going into detail because you already know and I don't want to make you upset."

"That wasn't my mom so I'm ok" She told him, "And I had a breakdown in someone else's gravesite."

A snort, "That you did."

Theodora rolled her eyes as they pulled up to a red light, merged in with lunchtime traffic.

"Why does he need a profiler if it's a murder in the woods?"

"That's what I'm going to ask him." He chuckled, "But you're also employed by him, so this is technically your job."

She agreed with a roll of her eyes, "When did he text you?"

"Half an hour ago."

"Well, you better speed up then." Theodora smiled, "You drive like an 80 year old."