Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen:

Theodora sat in a dark hospital room, the steady beeping from a heart monitor keeping her awake. It's noise keeping her calm.

Malcolm was going to be fine. Just out for a few days while the venom worked its way fully from his body.

Gil and the others had left a couple hours after they brought him in, and she was to call them when he woke up.

She was curled up on a chair next to his bed, a blanket draped over her. Apparently she had dozed off earlier into the night and Shelby, the nurse brought her one.

It had been quiet all night, and Theodora wasn't expecting him to start shaking. His head was flopping back and fourth, and his eyes wild behind closed lids.

He was having another nightmare.

Theodora stood up, shrugging the blanket off. The nurses had put him under a ridiculous amount of medication, most of it drowsy. He should've been out. Not even dreaming.

"Mal?" She questioned, watching his hand open and close into a fist at his side. She grabbed ahold of it with both hands, squeezing tightly. "It's just a nightmare. You're gonna get through this—"

He shot up, eyes wide and breathing heavy.

"Hello?"

"Hey—" Theodora called, "Hey, hey, it's fine. You're good—"

"Theo?" His voice sounded fearful. She wondered if he remembered any of the incident, or how long he had been trapped inside his nightmare. "Oh, Theo—"

The door flew open, and a nurse shook her head. "Oh my— he's awake! Get Dr Carter, he's awake!" She yelled out the door and down the hall.

"W-what's in this!" His hand fell from hers and clawed at his arm, "What drug did you give me?"

"Miss, you need to leave—"

Malcolm shook his head, "No! I need to be able to wake up! I need to be able to wake up—"

"It's all under control." The nurse held the IV down, trying to calm him down.

"I need to be able to wake up, Theo!" He was staring at her, sounding like a scared child. She took a step towards him, after being pushed away. "Theo—"

Doctors and nurses poured in, shoving her away once again and towards the door.

"What did you give me!" He finally screamed, and the door slammed shut in front of her.

Theodora moved to the window, where the curtains had yet to be pulled down. She watched as they all tried to get him to calm down, then averted to holding him while someone ran to go get more medication.

"Visiting hours ended nine hours ago, Miss." A man appeared next to her.

"They let me stay. I needed to stay with him until he woke up."

"Well, he's awake now. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"But—"

"You're tired. I can see that. Go home, get some rest and I'm sure he'd love to see you again tomorrow, well refreshed."

Theodora pursed her lips, watching as Malcolm fell back against the pillows. They had subdued him once again, but she knew it wouldn't last long. Not when that dose hadn't.

She nodded slowly, turning and walking down the brightly lit corridor. She found herself outside quickly, realizing she had no way to get home.

Theodora huffed, walking back into the building. Instead of heading back to Malcolm's room she found a seat in the lobby area, where a few other people sat.

"Who are you here visiting?" A women asked from next to her, Theodora sighed. "My... my friend."

"What happened?"

Theodora didn't know why this women was talking to her so late at night... or the morning. The clock on the wall confirmed it was the morning, but she didn't know if that was right or her eyes were going blurry.

"Oh." The women mumbled, "You've been up all night."

"Mhm."

Theodora didn't hear what the women said next, or if the women said anything at all. She was asleep, in the middle of a hospital waiting area at 5:58 in the morning.

She dreamt of her mother.