Chapter 12

Pic is of Uncle Scott
________________________________________________
Before the unknown flying object made contact Ben jumped in the way, catching it like a footy player. I stupidly thought it was large shrapnel or something so I screamed really loud.
'I'm so sorry,' Matt said running up to us.
I looked down and realised it was the soccer ball I had gave him.
'Well that made me look like an utter idiot,' I mumbled.
'Its all right but watch out in the future,' Ben said.
'Hey Matty can we play?' I asked.
'Sure but your on our team coz we're losing,' Matt replied sadly.
'Not for long,' Ben winked.
We jogged out to where Uncle Scott was waiting with a bunch of kids.
'Mornin, we are here to help a team win and cure our boredom,' I smiled.
'Yeah sure, you do that,' Uncle Scott said.
A kid called Jack kicked off. He was on the opposite team. The ball soared through the air stopping just outside the goals. In seconds I was on the opposite side of the field. Ben got ready in the goals. The opposite team (named the Skitter Killers, points for originality) passed it to each other for about three turns before I managed to intercept. I kicked long to Matt who kicked cleanly over the goalies head.

Tired kids plonked onto the ground when the game finished, all except Ben and I. We were the ones running up and down the field yet we didn't break a sweat.
'We have a clear winner, the Second Mass Scorers could you please come up,' Uncle Scott declared.
The Skitter Killers had to clap us, but they didn't do it happily, mumbling that we cheated.
'The razorbacks won the game for them,' Jack complained.
'Yeah,' his team agreed.
'Oh bullshi,' I started, Uncle Scott stopped me from finishing.
'What Emma means in we didn't go close to the goals, we didn't score or try to score so technically they won it. And I think they deserve a
louder round of applause. Jack shake hands with your opposite team captain,' Ben interrupted.
Jack grumbled and got up, shaking hands with Matt.
'See that wasn't that hard was it. See you Uncle Scott,' I said.
We walked back inside and sat on a bench in the corridor.
'That was fun huh,' Ben said.
'Yeah you didn't let any kicks through the goal'.
'Hey Emma can I ask you something,' he said.
'Mmhm,' I mumbled.
'Should we make this relationship thing public or what'.
I sighed, playing with a small hole in my shirt, 'Um not right now, we need some time for the Second Mass to accept you. I hope you realise that I am a teenage girl and I do have a best friend who is also one so obviously I'll tell her, maybe Anne too and you can tell your Dad and Hal and Matt but other than them nobody'.
Ben laughed, 'No chance that I'm telling Hal, he'll find some way to tease me about it'.
'Hey did you know that Anne and your Dad are in love?' I asked, hoping for a killer reaction.
Ben shrugged, 'I saw Dad smiling at her the way he smiled at Mum, so I kinda guessed it. Anyway I don't mind coz she seems like a wonderful person'.
'Trust me she is one of the rare people who, in the situation, would not think about themselves first and save them. Anne is like a Mum crossed with a best friend for me so I totally think she is wonderful'.
'I guess. Emma your seventeen and I'm fourteen. Isn't that that weird'.
'No look at all the old dudes that pick up the chicks like twenty years younger than them. Besides you said it yourself, you are going to be fifteen in a month. And anyway do you really like me,' I asked, Ben nodded, 'Well than why do you care what Hal has to say, he is with Karen and we don't tease him'.
'Yeah ok thanks Emma'.
'It's all good,' I grinned, 'Hey have you noticed, um, improvements physically from after the harness got put on you'.
'Yep I used to have asthma but now nothing'.
'I think it's better than that. I am in general better physically,' I stated.
'The soccer game kinda showed that'.
'Yeah by the way you were amazing as a goalie,' I stated.
Ben blushed, 'Thanks you too'.
'Um I wasn't goalie. Just kidding I know what you mean,' I laughed.
'Emma, Anne needs you,' Hal said.
I turned around and smiled at Hal. He had a purple short sleeve t shirt and a jeans.
'What for?' I questioned raising my eyebrows.
'Well we're in a war against powerful aliens and you are a medic like her, work it out,' Hal laughed.
'Don't miss me too much Benjy,' I grinned.
Ben turned a distinctive shade of maroon/red that used to be little brother James' favourite colour.
'Oh trust me, he will. And Emma we were all thinking about getting the old projector out and playing a movie for the Second Mass and your birthday,' Hal winked.
'See ya Ben, See ya Hal,' I said.
'See ya sugar,' Hal smirked. He probably knew how Ben felt about me but he acted his usual flirty self.
I waved goodbye and walked speedily to the Infirmary. I passed a couple of classrooms where bombs were being made and people making lunch which made me salivate, the soccer kinda made me really hungry. I walked along, my combat boots clacking loudly on the clean floor, till I reached the familiar door with the red medical cross taped to it. I took a deep breath, prepared for the worst and shoved open the door.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiya. How's your day going (hopefully well). What did you think? It's holidays so I'm out of Primary School now which is very exciting, only 6 years then it's Uni, yikes (I wanna study creative writing). Anyway hope you liked it and yeah have an awesome day/week/life
Cheers
xx
Lulu