Chapter 4

Max

She grabbed my hand and practically dragged me to the car. I felt paralysed at her touch and it killed me inside. How can she make me feel this way just by holding my hand? And how can she does this to me without even knowing she's doing it? These questions circled my mind many times until we reached the car and I felt her hand slip out of mine. Damn. We both sat down and she started to drive. She drove a convertible car and since it was a hot day, she had the roof down. Letting the cool breeze slip through her hair. She is so effortlessly beautiful I thought to myself.

After about 10 minutes of driving, I grew impatient. "Can't you tell me where we are going now?" I asked. El smirked. Probably because I sounded like a whiny child. "Just wait Max." El replied. I crossed my arms and leaned back into the seat frustrated. It was another 10 minutes until she stopped the car. We were at the bottom of a structure of stairs. The stairs were slabs of contrete placed strategically, leading up a cliff.

A/N- This is what I'm trying to describe

A/N- This is what I'm trying to describe. I'm not good at describing scenery but they are starting at the bottom of the arrow walking up ALOT of stairs to get to the waterfall but max doesn't know its a waterfall yet. OK. Make sense. No? Oh well.

Max

I stared at the height of the structure. A million thoughts ran through my head at once. Am I supposed to go to the top? Are we going on a hike? How long is this going to take? Are we sleeping here? Is she going to kill me in my sleep? Is someone else going to? I blinked back to reality before I had a panic attack. Noticing my confusion, El spoke. "Yes, we are going to the top and no it won't take long and no I'm not telling you what's at the top." she eyed me, searching for any doubt or concern on my face. Apparently, she found none because she gave me a big smile before hopping out of the car. I sat for another second, evaluating the situation, before following El out of the car. Right. Guess I'm doing this.

El

I gave max a reassuring smile before opening the doors and getting out of the car. Max didn't move a muscle. I started to worry when she stayed in the car but seconds after, she followed me out. Phew. That was the first challenge,now to make it to the top without spoiling the surprise.

Max

We started making our way up the cliff which was easy compared to other hikes I've been on in the past. The real struggle was trying to get El to give away any little detail about where we were headed. Im sure I asked about a hundred questions and all I got we vague responses such as 'maybe, maybe not. I'm not telling you. And stop asking'. It was infuriating yet encouraging. The not knowing made me even more eager to reach the final destination. We were a few steps away when El grabbed my waist. I turned around, slightly frustrated at the sudden pause when we were so close. I looked her dead in the eyes and all she said was "sit."

I obeyed her orders even if I was reluctant to do so. After a few minutes of a comfortable silence she turned to me. "Max, I love you. So much. You're my best friend and I know how much you miss california so I've set up something that I hope will give a piece of your past I suppose." she gave me a small smile before saying continuing. "you can go up now.." I didn't need telling twice. I turned around and went up, the secret being revealed little by little until I was at the last step. I took a deep breath before going up.

"wow.." is all I could get out.