Chapter Thirty Four

The next morning, Jackson thrust an envelope into my hand as I was leaving for work. I took it from him and glanced down to see Benny's name written across the front of it in Jackson's handwriting. I looked up for him to press a kiss to my mouth.

"This is good," he reassured me. "Keep thinking about Paris."

I bit the inside of my cheek.

Jackson grinned and took my hand to lead me to the car where he drove me into work. My stomach was churning at the thought of leaving the place, but when I stepped in to see Danielle glare at me as I went into the back room, I told myself that this was what I needed: a fresh start.

I waited until the end of the day. Danielle had grabbed her bag and left. Benny was closing down his computer when I knocked on the door and let myself in. He gave me a small smile as I walked in, but it faded when he saw the envelope I pulled out of my apron. I handed it to him and he opened it. I wasn't even sure what it said. Awkwardly, I waited until he was finished. Slowly, Benny sat back in his chair.

"I'm sad to see you go, Anna," he said, looking up at me. "You've been here a long time."

I smiled. "Five years."

"Can I ask you why you want to go? Is it because of you and Danielle?"

"I just want a new adventure," I replied with a shrug.

He scratched at the ginger stubble on his jaw. "Well I hope you find it."

I thanked him and picked up my bag from the corner of the room with a small groan from the pain of my stomach. I'd been slow all day since moving too quickly hurt. Danielle glanced at me when I tripped against the leg of a table and clutched my stomach as I was jerked forward, but she didn't say anything.

"How is everything?" he asked. "I heard about the fire."

I swung my bag on my shoulder. "We're all okay."

"I'm glad. Please tell me you had insurance."

I nodded. "The cheapest one though, but I'm working on getting some compensation."

"Do you know what caused it?"

"Yeah, it was a cigarette fire."

When Jackson and I were in bed last night, he handed me a scary-looking envelope that had been delivered earlier that day. On the top was written IMPORTANT INFORMATION ENCLOSED beside the stamp for the local fire department. It took me a long while to open it. I wasn't sure what was stopping me. Maybe it was coming to terms with what happened that night and everything we lost in the fire. Knowing Jackson was watching me, I opened it to find the fire report inside. I skipped the first paragraph to read under the subheading FINDINGS. As clear as day, it stated that Ellie had fallen asleep at the table with a lit cigarette and started the house fire.

Benny nodded. "Where are you living at the moment?"

"With my boyfriend. He's the one taking me on the adventure."

He smiled. "Well, he sounds like a good guy."

I didn't respond. I just gave a small smile and headed towards the door.

"We're going to miss you here. I hope you find what you're looking for on this adventure."

"Thanks, Benny," I said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He gave me a salute with two fingers before I shut the door behind me. Jackson was sat at an empty table and jumped up when he saw me.

"How'd it go?" he asked in a hushed murmur.