Chapter Fifty One

"Afternoon," Blaine sang as I stumbled into the living room at 2 p.m. Full sentences were too tiring so I mumbled something incoherent and collapsed onto the sofa beside him. He muted the TV and put an arm around me. "How was it?"

"Hard," was all I could think of to describe it. "Jackson started the fire at my house."

Blaine stared at me for a long while. "What?"

I explained what had happened last night and even showed him the report. Blaine went from confused to angry within seconds. Just like Nick, something lit up inside of him and soon he was moving up and down the living room.

"God, if I ever get my hands on that...monster..."

"You and I both know it's not worth it," I said, pulling him back down onto the sofa. "I'm still coming to terms with it myself, but no one died. I just need to focus on that."

Blaine looked at me with worry. Then his arms were around me. "Of course, baby. You're all okay."

He held me to his chest for a while. I knew many thoughts were running around in Blaine's head, but he was doing his best to look after me first.

"There is one bit of good news," I said, sitting up. "Nick's going to be my brother-in-law."

Blaine blinked at me. "Really?"

"I think so. He told me he's in love with Ellie and when she's better, he's going to tell her. I can't wait."

"Wow. Does she feel the same?"

"Oh, definitely. They're going to be amazing together."
Blaine smiled. "They are."

I rested my head on Blaine's shoulder and watched the muted TV for a while.

"Where's Jason and Carter?" I asked absentmindedly.

"Dunno," Blaine replied. "Carter's probably still sulking in his room. I knew he wouldn't move out. He's all talk and no walk. Always has been."

"Is there something I can do to make him feel any better?"

"You don't have to."

"Maybe I could just speak to him..."

Blaine shook his head. "He'll come around eventually. He just needs space."

"I don't need space. I need you to go."

Our heads whipped around to see a tense Carter in the doorway glaring at me.

"Carter," Blaine warned. "We've talked about this."

"I know we have, but it's not enough. We agreed not to have any more to do with those fucking Demons because we've lost so many people. Then you go behind our backs and do something that could lure a Demon into the one place we can call home. How is that fair?"

Blaine rose from the sofa. "It's not fair. Nothing we've gone through has ever been fair, but this is how it's going to be. You need to get used to it."

"Why should I? We've been fighting for so long and I need to rest. I'm still grieving and you're all loved up with someone that's putting us all in danger. How do you think that makes me feel?"

"Is that what this is, jealousy? You're taking it out on my girlfriend because you lost Maria? Fucking hell, Carter."

"Look guys, I'm sorry for everything you've been through," I said.

Carter scoffed. "No you're not because you're stood here now. God, you're both as selfish as each other. I thought you were better than this, Blaine, but you're putting a girl in front of your own brothers. You're a selfish bastard."