Chapter 16 || One Step Closer

Luna and Nadia sat beside each other during class, school started to wind down as they were preparing for the next semester. 

The whole class was silent as they followed the movement of their teacher. They jotted down notes as always. 

"Alright, I'm going to take it a little easy on you guys. You guys have a few minutes left of class and I'll give you guys the time to chat with your classmates. Before I let you go, I just wanted to say how proud I am of every single one of you. It was a really rough year for all of us and I'm glad we were able to get through it as a whole."

One student started to cheer and soon, the whole class was cheering and clapping.

"I hope to see you in the next grade for the next semester. The results have been out but we won't announce the highest passers till tomorrow's assembly. Until then, let your mind ease and relax. You certainly deserve it!" The teacher then proceeded to gently clap. 

Luna smiled as she packed her bags, "Can you believe it? We're going to be seniors." 

"It's crazy, all our time here went by so fast," Nadia said as her focus was on her supplies, she did the same and packed them. 

"I wish Santiago and Marina were here to celebrate it with us," Luna weakly smiled, she sighed.

Nadia looked at her with empathy, she gently rubbed Luna's back, "They are here, I'm sure they're proud of you... very proud." 

"It's just crazy, I came into Las Encinas hoping to accomplish and graduate alongside my sisters and brother. Now... it's just the three of us." 

"No matter what, Santiago would've been so proud of you for making it this far. I mean, Las Encinas is wild. And for somebody that's been brought down and blamed continuously, you made it out a better and a stronger person. That's somebody Marina and Santiago should be proud of." 

"Yeah..." She softly whimpered as joyful tears were on the verge of breaking through. 

Nadia pulled her closer, Luna rested her head on Nadia's shoulder as the feeling of joy and success washed over her, "Hey... it's okay... just imagine Santiago dancing the night away and Marina laughing." 

The sound of Marina's laugh started to play in Luna's head, it triggered another detail from a flashback.

Marina laughed, "That's why she threw you away. She grew tired of you..." 

Luna was pulled back into a flashback, it was another piece of the truth. She was so close, yet so far. 

She looked around the room to only realize it was dark and silent. Once again, her memory was only limited to what she could and couldn't see. 

A startling voice pierced through the silence, "Let me go!"

Luna turned around in fear, she looked around for that voice. Where was it coming from?

"It's about time for her to pay for everything..." Another familiar voice pierced through the silence. 

In a snap, Luna was pulled back to her reality, she was back to how everything was left. She was still resting her head on Nadia's shoulder. 

"Why don't we go get lunch?" Nadia stood up as she waited for Luna to do the same. 

In the student room, Nadia and Luna heated up their home made food. 

"It's crowded in here," Luna says as the microwave stops to a beep.

"Well, it's a perfect day outside to eat! I have the perfect place," Nadia smiled cheerfully as she grabbed the hot container of food.