02

In a small town like Riverdale, it didn't take long for news of my pregnancy to get around

In a small town like Riverdale, it didn't take long for news of my pregnancy to get around. It took even less time for the paternity to be found out. Not that we were hiding it, while we were in a peculiar situation, to say the least, Jughead was doing everything he could to be a good dad and I was only a little over three months into the pregnancy.

He had begun carrying around saltine crackers and bottles of water, keeping them stashed in his car for when I inevitably needed them. My morning sickness was awful, and it was random. Coming over me at the weirdest times. Why they called it morning sickness, I didn't understand. It would strike at any time of day.

Jug was always there. Even when he wasn't, if it was late, I've learned that if I made a single phone call, he would be there. No matter what. I had called him at four in the morning once to complain that I didn't have french fries and a chocolate milkshake, and while his voice was groggy and sleep deprived over the phone it wasn't too long later that night he showed up on my doorstep with the cravings in hand.

He came into my home and collapsed on my couch, immediately beginning to snore. I felt guilty, as I sat by his feet and ate the food he brought whilst his exhaustion consumed him. I tried not to take advantage of the fact that when I called him, he ran. I only called him now when I was getting sick, because since I was a little girl, throwing up has given me anxiety. I always feel like I'm dying and I get completely terrified. It's one thing from my childhood I never outgrew, and I no longer had my mother to sit next to me on the floor and soothe me. Jughead did a good job at keeping me grounded though.

Every doctors appointment I had, he was there next to me, holding my hand tightly in his, against his chest just as he had during the first appointment. It felt strange, Jug and I had been friends for years but we had never been so close. Perhaps it was just that I was pregnant with his baby, that's what I chalked it up to, at least, but I felt like when he wasn't with me, I was just much more miserable.

Like, right now. The boys had gone to get us all food. Veronica and I were left at her and Archie's house. I was confiding in her about all these confusing feelings while she did my nails, painting them the softest of blues.

"Sounds to me like the beginning of a crush," Veronica said, finishing up my pinky nail. I scoffed.

"Don't be ridiculous." I said, "this is Jughead we're talking about, I don't have a crush on Jughead."

"Would it really be such a bad thing if you did?" She asked, laying the bottle of nail polish aside and looking up into my eyes.

"You're having his baby, after all." She pointed out.

"I know." I sighed, shaking my head. "Hard to forget."

"He's been nothing short of amazing." She continued on, "very attentive to yours and the babies needs."

"I know." I repeated.

"So what's the problem?" She asked.

"What isn't the problem?" I shot back. "It's Jughead."